Sports / Swim and Dive

Women’s Swim and Dive Goes 2-1 Over the Weekend

The weekend started off poor for the Gauchos as the UCSB women’s swim and dive team fell to UC Davis on Friday by a score of 174-126. However, they got back on track Saturday, notching victories against both University of the Pacific and Loyola Marymount University by scores of 156-105 and 189-70, respectively. The UCSB men’s swim team also recorded a victory against University of the Pacific with a score of 183-79.

Following the win, the UCSB men’s swim and dive team improves its overall record to 5-1 while the women advance to 9-2 overall. For the University of the Pacific, their men’s swim team falls to 3-3, and their women’s swim team sits at 3-4. Loyola Marymount’s women’s swim team drops to 2-5.

“All in all I would say it was a good weekend,” Head Coach Gregg Wilson said. “For the women it was disappointing Friday, but I’m actually very pleased with how things went on Saturday.”

Saturday proved to be great day of swimming, especially for the Gaucho men. They managed to grab first place finishes in 13 of the 14 events on the day. Sophomore Andy Castilleja and senior Ryan Hanni were crucial to the win, as they both placed first in two individual events. Castilleja took first in the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke with times of 56.89 and 2:03.51, respectively. Hanni dominated both the 50 and 100-yard freestyle with times of 20.85 and 45.33, respectively.

UCSB sophomore Mickey Mowry continued his stellar swimming, earning three individual victories and helping the Gauchos secure first in the 200-yard medley relay with a top time of 1:32.56. Mowry’s victories came in the 200-yard freestyle (1:41.46), the 200-yard butterfly (1:48.89) and the 100-yard butterfly (49.00).

“Mickey Mowry has been busting loose,” Coach Wilson said. “He swam some amazing races, and the 100 fly was just spectacular.”

The UCSB women’s swim and dive team turned the weekend into a positive with the help of senior co-captain Sophia Yamauchi, as she received first place finishes in every event she swam. Yamauchi took both the 100 and 200-yard backstroke with times of 57.63 and 2:03.02, respectively. She also helped procure victory for the women in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:43.00 and the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:30.68.

“It was all smiles for me on Saturday,” Yamauchi said. “Being able to beat both teams was great for the team and our mental attitudes.”

On Friday, UC Davis handed the Gaucho women their first loss since Nov. 1. UCSB swam and dove well through 31 events, but the Aggies simply swam and dove better. Senior Liliana Alvarez set school records for the Aggies in both the 200-yard medley relay (1:42.52) and the 200-yard breaststroke (2:16.08).

Senior Andrea Ward continued to swim great Friday, earning two first place finishes in the 100 and 200-yard butterfly events with times of 54.14 and 1:58.88, respectively.

“It was definitely disappointing to come out with the loss on Friday,” Ward said. “We had a lot of good swims that day, but Davis came at us really strong.”

The UCSB swim and dive team hosts Cal Poly in a dual meet this Saturday at noon.

This article is an online exclusive and did not appear in the print edition of The Daily Nexus.

Tags: , , ,

13 Comments

1. Well I searched for the article title and found this, never thought i’d find my answer

2. I seldom comment on these articles, but I thought this on deserved a well done

3. Fantastic blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any
    message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this
    article? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share
    the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Feel free to visit my web site; cellulite treatment chicago

4. Hello, fantastic advice and an interesting post, it’s
    going to be exciting if this is still the case in a few months time

5. Well I searched for the article title and discovered this, didn’t think i’d find the answer

6. Hello, fantastic advice and an interesting article post, it’s going to be fascinating if this is still the state of affairs
    in a few months time

7. Terrific piece of writing, I enjoyed the charter communications email bit

8. If you are facing a charge of drunk driving then you should
    consult with a qualified lawyer that help to you in reduced
    the charge or going out. In addition, when you file your taxes, you
    will be required to claim the withdrawal and you may have to pay an additional 10 percent penalty
    to the Internal Revenue Service. It is generally advised not to hire a general criminal
    attorney since they are not the best people to know the finer
    points of driving under the influence rules of your state.

Feel free to visit my web page :: is dui a felony boise

9. Good day! Do yօu know if they make any pluɡins to protect aɡainst hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everytɦing I’ve workeԀ hard
    on. Any tips?

10. I read this paragraph fully about the difference of most recent
    and previous technologies, it’s awesome article.

11. Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from
    an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your
    own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    fast. I’m thinking about making my own but
    I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
    Many thanks