In light of ongoing natural disaster relief efforts on the East Coast, the UCSB American Red Cross group will host a blood drive today in front of the Thunderdome from 1 to 5 p.m.

UCSB Red Cross is holding the drive in conjunction with United Blood Services in solidarity with the hurricane victims while also offering information on how to become bone marrow donors for any who are interested in doing so.

Participants will need photo identification and medical information in order to donate; walk-ins are welcome but students can make appointments in advance as well. The United Blood Services also have a certain set of classifications that donors must match in order to give blood, including height and weight qualifications and recent places of travel.

Furthermore, participants are encouraged to bring a list of all European countries they have visited since 1980 and all foreign countries they have visited in the past 12 months. Students are discouraged from donating if they have cold or flu symptoms, have had hepatitis after their 11th birthday or have gotten a tattoo in the past 12 months. Donors on certain medications are also ineligible to give blood without observing a proper waiting period. The complete list of medications and qualifications are available online at www.unitedbloodservices.org.

The Red Cross is also accepting monetary contributions to disaster relief efforts; students can text “REDCROSS” to 90999 to give $10 or donate online at http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations.