“Four Years in Associated Students and Still the Same Shit”

I’ve been involved in Associated Students for about four years now, probably one of the few that can recall the Ariel-like hair from our 2007-08 president, Stephanie Brower. Back when we didn’t have to take a TPS course to drive university vehicles and honorarium was pretty much non-existent. Point being, I have been part of the elections process for the past four years.

For the past four years I have witnessed Open People’s Party reign, and every year, except for this one, they have gotten away with illegal campaign tactics during elections. My first year, they were endorsed by the Rec Cen newsletter, a student fee publication that is supposed to remain neutral, because the editors were running with OPP. Although 5,000 newsletters were distributed all across campus and the entire OPP slate was endorsed, only the editors were disqualified. That year, OPP also stood outside Sam’s To Go and solicited students to vote by purchasing them whole sandwiches. That tactic was carried over to my second year as well. For my third year, from what I know, two major things happened. The External Vice President of Local Affairs candidate running with OPP committed fraud by using the Associated Students name for her party’s political gain during elections. She applied for a permit for a road closure using Associated Students’ name to close down Pardall Road, making it so that OPP would be the only party permitted to table during the week of voting, excluding DPP and B.O.S.S. In addition, OPP’s presidential candidate at that time was caught furnishing alcohol to minors during an elections-related party. The last time I checked, offering to get a minor drunk in exchange for votes wasn’t exactly legal.

Now this year, OPP was caught once again, engaging in illegal campaign tactics in order to get themselves elected. And no, Chloe Styker, only because you and your party have been able to get away with it these past years does not make it all right. Political parties at other campuses such as UCSD and UCB have had their entire slates disqualified for half of the infractions that OPP members have committed.

What they did is illegal, and yes, I know that shady things happen every election season, but OPP was caught and rather than tainting the Association’s name by refusing to give up their seats, they should grow up and deal with the consequences of their actions. I’m upset that these elected officials are receiving thousands of dollars from student fees even after they were caught engaging in illicit behavior. Next time my bank account runs low, I’ll make a note to run for student government and furnish alcohol to minors, because apparently that’s the best way to get elected, knowing that even if I were to get caught by elections committee, I would still receive complete honoraria. I’m mostly referring to the thousands of dollars that the executive officials receive. The executives not only receive $400 every quarter for holding their position, but they also get their tuition paid for. Four executive members out of five were in violation of the elections legal code, yet all of them are still receiving full honorarium, meaning about $44,800 of student fees are being spent on people that got themselves elected by breaking the California State Law. And no, Ahmed Mostafa, I have no sympathy nor will I hesitate to pass judgment on elected officials that receive thousands of dollars from student fees — my student fees. If they are not willing to resign they should have the decency to give up their honoraria, however they are reaping the financial benefits of office and still have the audacity to challenge their 45 hours of community service.

Yes I’m upset. As a graduating senior with over thirty thousand dollars in debt, I’m very upset and demand justice.

David Preciado is a fourth-year Chican@ studies and sociology major.

74 Responses to “Four Years in Associated Students and Still the Same Shit”

1. Liberty Odom Reply

February 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

Jigolo arayan zengin bayanlara özel partner sitesi. Senden güvenilir jigolo arkadaşı arıyorsanız bulamıyorsanız. Sizlere en uygun jigolo sitesindeki ilanlar ile başbaşa bırakıyoruz. En iyi jigolo hizmeti almak için en güvenilir partner sitesi

2. Free Microsoft Points Generator Reply

July 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Great stuf, I had been referred here by my pal. Saved with my Digg Account, I will comeback again to find out considerably extra of your site’s contents. Many thanks.

3. Nobody likes A.S. Reply

June 4, 2011 at 3:31 am

Why do we even have a student government? All we need is an organization that delegates funds to clubs and other organizations on campus… Who decided that members of AS executive board get their tuition paid for? Members of AS? This is stupid. AS is corrupt. Who gives a fk about student government? If we (the students) were able to vote to disband AS, and temporarily (or permanently) have faculty delegate funds until a new organization is created (where people aren’t paid to be members and would have no other powers)… I’m sure the only people voting against disbanding AS would be VERY CLOSE friends of people that are part of AS. I am friends with people in AS and I think, yes, A.S. IN GENERAL is a load of crap that needs to be flushed down the toilet. A.S., I would like to talk to your supervisor (do you even HAVE a supervisor?). Please, and thank you.

4. Kristian "With a K" Whittaker Reply

May 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm

People are poppin’ off and it ain’t friendly (leg reference). David said what he had to say if you disagree that’s fine. If you agree, more power to you. But please be respectful of others. Please don’t call out whole groups like OPP or DP. Don’t claim “facts” without having visible proof like an actual jello shot from that night or you were one of the people who had a jello shot or passed out a jello shot. Sarcasm and satire (The Onion I felt you on the first two but after that, you lost your DAMN MIND) are just a nuisance. Please be respectful.

5. Lollerblades Reply

May 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm

TL;DR: We lost the election. We’re still really bitter. We did really well last year. But this year we dropped the ball hard. Let’s see how far we can get if we keep complaining.

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Lmao! Yay Victim politics!!! :D

• Brad Reply

June 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Yep, exactly the futile platform that DPP and their predecessors Student Voice have used all these years in hopes to gain votes snd followers.

6. Jonnie Reply

May 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Enough is enough, since people seem to think that elections committee is biased in making decisions I am making sure that an independent source has a thorough investigation of all this mess. And since people from OPP say they did not use alcohol I’m sure they won’t mind the fact that tomorrow I will informing the police and asking for an investigation on this matter.

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Oh joy! Make things SO much worst. Here while you’re at it, ask them to investigate Frats and Sorors for their TGs :D

• The Police Reply

May 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Oh God Please do!!!!!!! Please call the police!!!!! That will teach them!

7. A constituent Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:52 am

All involved better step down or be prepared to answer to the student body. I’m pretty fucking angry that this is allowed in my school, I saw you break the rules first hand in previous years, it is people like you that make UCSB look bad, immature and unprofessional. Stop fucking with my money, you don’t deserve to represent me. All AS people are full of it, this is why I don’t want to get involved in your thieving, cheating, dishonest, superficial “association”. Step down!!!!!!

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Drinking happens anyways. Why not consume it during the most stressful time of the year? Is jello shots not the same as shirts in terms of “Bribery” they have the same intended effect.

it works like this; “Regular” people want free shirts. Greeks want shots. We (as reps) give them what they want.

But if my sources are correct, there was no alcohol so….

• Angry Villager Reply

May 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Go in there with pitchforks and demand their resignation! War paint???? ATTACK!!!!!

• Aww Yeah Reply

May 30, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I like Warpaint. Good band,

8. Kenny Powers Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

OPP, you’re fucking out! HAHAHAHA

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Kenny you’re a jealous prick! HAHAHAHA

9. Student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

I understand wanting to blame certain people for accusations. But it is unfair to tear specific people down without knowing the full story, and then getting so heated about a tactic that everyone uses. I have personally been to parties thrown by DP party the last two years where alcohol was given to minors (I was a minor and I was given alcohol). Maybe I should’ve submitted a complaint and they would’ve been given the same punishment (highly unlikely). I don’t think soliciting votes is appropriate in exchange for alcohol, but from my understanding and based on what they are being charged of, OPP never gave out alcohol while forcing people to log onto gold.

In regards to the EVPLA, there are clearly huge misunderstandings of what actually went down. First off, the document given to elections that has AS’s name, was never the document the County used to distribute the permit. The county doesn’t even have that document because it wasn’t used! AS was not used to secure the permit, if you want verification you can call Department of Public Works with SB County and talk to either Alissa or Gary about what really went down. There was no investigation of what really went down, and no one ever used AS to get insurance or the permit. But even though nothing illegal was done, the EVPLA was still given a financial fine and had to help plan an event for elections committee. The EVPLA is extremely open and would be willing to discuss this with you if you had questions. She would disclose anything you wanted to know if you would just talk to her rather than accusing her of things you don’t know about.

• Concerened student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

This was clearly written by Cori Lantz or someone in the EVPLA office…

The real story is that before could actually use A.S.’s name to reserve Pardall, she was caught… Had she not been caught, she would have followed through with the actions.

• Cori Lantz Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I can understand the fact that people are confused about the Pardall Closure, there were never any public statements made about what happened last year. That is in large part due to the fact that we are told that everything must remain confidential. Now that it is over a year later, and that I am no longer in office, I would like to publicly address these concerns and give my side of the story. It is my personal belief that by being forced to not address these types of accusations and statements, only makes these situations worse. I moved passed this incident and worked on over 60 projects from my office this year. I had hoped that the work of my office was enough, but this article makes it clear that my reputation was hurt without me being able to defend myself or explain what really happened. Here is my side of things:

I ran with SWAP (students with a plan) as a sophomore for Off-Campus Rep. It was an amazing group of people and I learned a lot from those individuals. That year, I was extremely frustrated with how elections went down and wanted to address a lot of the problems I witnessed. I decided to stay involved in AS and Local Affairs because I loved the work and wanted to continue to attempt to make the community a better place. As a junior I was approached by all 3 parties to run as their EVPLA candidate. It was an extremely difficult decision and anyone who knows me, knows that I was a wreck when I was trying to pick a party. Running with one, meant that I would be betraying two different groups of people and it would hurt many of my friendships. The party system creates division in the Association and in my opinion it is sad, but in order to win as an exec on this campus, you have to pick a party. I love many people from all three parties and am sorry if running with OPP hurt any of you. There are many reasons for why I chose OPP (reasons that I will not go into right now). When I chose OPP, I requested that we would try to do things differently, and I whole heartedly believe that we ran a clean campaign.

One of the biggest concerns I had was that every party failed to follow all of the SB County regulations in previous years. Tables were set up on Pardall without street closure permits or insurance, safety regulations were disregarded and food was distributed without health permits. I wanted to do things legally for once, not just in accommodation with AS Elections committee regulations, but also with SB County regulations. In order to secure the permit and insurance we worked with Public Works, OSL, SB Mail, Local Businesses, County Reps and Elected County Officials to make the event happen, without the name of AS. Months of work was put into the event focused on election education while using OPP’s name, not AS. As mentioned above, if you call Public Works and speak with Alissa Palumbo or read the event descriptions/ proposals you will find out that AS was not used to secure the permit. Because I had worked with her in the past, she was aware of the different process we were using for this event because it was very separate from how things work when planning an event for AS. All the letters, insurance and contracts submitted and issued did NOT include AS.

The document in question was never used to secure the permit and in fact was not even necessary to secure a permit. OPP decided to create an MOU with businesses Chino’s and On the Side to take an extra step and prove that we were working with everyone in the community. Business approval is no longer a requirement for street closures. As we were drafting the document, a past document I created for a previous event was used as a template. Half way through drafting the document, it was saved with only half of the names and dates set for the event. Once the document was officially completed, we saved it under a different name. When we printed the document, the wrong version was printed. This document should’ve never been used, AS should have never been used to secure the permit, and that is why we did not move forward with this draft of the document. Unfortunately, this version was given to the elections committee and the truth never circulated. I personally chose to not move forward with the event because the drama had hit an all time high and I could not handle anymore rumors. Little did I know, that by choosing to not move forward with the event, it made the rumors worse.

For those of you who say we went “Unpunished”, I would like to say that you are misinformed. But that is because fines are not made public. I received a financial fine and was required to help elections committee plan the event we came up with last year for every party this year. Other people were also fined, and they did not deserve to be fined at all. Even though I disagree with being fined for this misunderstanding completely, I also believe I should have been the only person held accountable because this document came from me, not from others. This is not the only situation where fines have been given out, candidates are not going unpunished.

I am more than happy to answer any further questions about the situation and want to apologize for not clearing the situation up sooner. I have been as open as possible this year and hope that if there are any further questions or people who need clarifications, please feel free to email me at corilynlantz@gmail.com.

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm

good explanation. But I stopped caring halfway through. Look if you think you were fairly dealt with then that’s great. But you don’t have to explain it to these people. They are just on a rampage. But as “The Onion” I feel I must keep it equal and tell you something. OPP has an elder system yes? Well those elders (you included) better check on your “Legacy” because this is looking bad on OPP, AS, and sadly them as individuals. But I do applaud your statement.

• Dane Reply

May 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm

nice essay cori lantz, but there is a serious flaw in your thesis, I would consider revising by putting “I should have been DISQUALIFIED!”

10. M Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

This article is almost laughable.

First, I have NO RESPECT for DP party for being such sore losers. If you have to get into office by making up stories, not checking the facts and pushing others out of office, that is ridiculous.

Second, the EVPLA this year should not even be mentioned in this. Again, learn your facts before you start talking shit.

Third, DP party and YOU always talk about how you are judged and misrepresented….funny how quick you are to judge others. Doesnt seem very “Democratic” to me.

Fourth, I witnessed with my own eyes other parties (cough…DP) giving alcohol to minors this elections season…funny how its only OPP under fire right now.

• Danielle Reply

May 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm

i’m just wondering where in this article is saying anything about dp party, aside from it accurately saying the opp evpla candidate made it impossible for dp party & boss candidates to table on pardall during elections last year… please adress that, ‘student’. Thanks. :)

• Really??? Reply

May 26, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Well, in my opinion, if the other parties were running qualified candidates then they would have know how to close Pardall down before anyone else did. Sorry bout it! It’s called politics for a reason- learn how to play!

And what about they fact that Q-Comm only endorsed DP party candidates? Is that fair? Or that the former DP party president was allowed to sit in on every election committee meeting

• student Reply

May 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

word

• Abrahan Reply

May 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I want to adress a couple of things in regards to this comment.

First of all, please take a step back to acknowledge your PRIVILEGE, there is a difference between QComm and QSU, just cause we are queer serving organizations does not mean we are one. and that goes for everyone who is always doing this shit.

Second of all, I was the co-chair of QSU during these past elections, and was part of the endorsement process for the organization. And I am going to give you exactly what QSU did to make this endorsement completely fair.

A)There was a call for leggie candidates to submit their applications for endorsement. During an officer meeting, several queer leaders that have never been affiliated with AS read the applications and endorsed the candidates they felt fit. Almost everyone that applied was seen as qualified for endorsement except for one leggie from OPP and 3 from DPP who the folks on the committee felt did not come through in the application. (The same thing was done for Student Advocate General)

B)All the party-affiliated executive candidates were invited to a forum (and they all showed up) where they each had an opening statement, and got to talk for a little bit (unfortunately due to time, only one question was answered). The general membership of QSU was asked to write whether they endorsed, supported, or did not support a candidate. Ballots of anyone associated with any party were not accepted in the process. The endorsements for executives were based entirely off the vote of the general QSU body.

If you find something that was unfair about the process please email it to me at bernalmonzon@gmail.com or to the QSU email at ucsbqsu@gmail.com so the organization can make sure to improve on said aspect for next years elections.

Thanks,

Abrahan

• Jaret Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm

David has never ran with DP Party, nor is his voice here speak for the group. More importantly, why are you bringing DP up in this? David isn’t part of DP, the Nexus isn’t DP, and Elections committee isn’t DP. Why are you bringing it into this?

Certain people in OPP fucked up, and got called out on it by elections committee. OPP’s execs failed twice at bringing up an appeal. Is that DP’s fault? No. So why are you attacking the group?

I don’t know who you are M. You might have been running, you might not have. But in the real world, actions have consequences, and blaming another group for being mean really won’t garnish much sympathy.

• Tired of YOU Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Jaret you have been talking ALOT of shit on OPP. Let talk about their victim politics policy. Let’s talk about how you ALL way have something to say, but when you see these individual, you never say it to their face. Don’t run your mouth. Take action. Tell these “Certain people” instead of leaving here spewing OPP hate. You say actions have consequences in the real world. Well get this. In Africa, if you speak ill of another, they cut your tongue out. In Russia, if you speak ill about another person, they beat you. In the Punjab of India, if you speak ill of another person and they catch you, that person has the right to stone you (family included). But here in America people like you can do so because you hide behind a computer screen. You. Are. A. Pathetic. Excuse. Of. A. Person.

• anne Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I take it that you, Tired of You, are not here in America talking shit while hiding behind a computer screen and using a fake name..

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm

You poor girl. I could same the same to you. Here why don’t you put your FULL name >;)

Not from America? Are you? You name (“Anne”) is English in origin. Yet it romanticized from Anna. Anne meaning royalty. But that “royalty” stems from Russia. There was also a derivation of Anne via Anna in Spain. It would also be romanticized into Annias. Also used for royalty. However the most common it became, the less value it had… So where are you from?

• anne Reply

May 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Okay, what does my place of origin have to do with this conversation? And I have no problem with saying that my full name is Anne Sawiris.

All I did was stand up for someone who I don’t believe deserved the above comment.

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm

That’s more like it >:D

So Mrs. Anne you ask what does your place of origin have to do with this conversation. To answer your Question, you said “are not here in America” so I reference your statement while addressing the fact that you claimed that I saw talking shit behind screen and a fake name. Here I will tell you my name. The. Onion. Happy? :) If I was talking shit, then please explain the “shit” Jaret was spewing? Please I implore you to explain. I. IMPLORE. you. to. explain. PLEASE. It’s the same with all you sore losers. You. Jaret (who lost in a previous year). Hell even people who lost last year in OPP, DPP, and BOSS are even running their mouths talking shit. My message to you Mrs. Sawiris, Jaret, and everyone else running their mouths; Shut the fuck up and put my student fees to good use.

• anne Reply

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I am going to leave this post after I say a couple of things. First, that America comment was in response to something someone wrote before me. Secondly, if you knew me at all, you would know that I am not sore about losing and I am very happy with the people that won for the position for which I ran. Thirdly, whoever you are, you’re ridiculous.

• people like you Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm

IDK if Jaret speaks a lot of shit or not. He may be an ass that won’t say shit to people’s faces (you really should dude. come on, its not that hard.) but you really shouldn’t be talking about hiding behind a computer screen cause you’re hiding behind a fake name

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I told you my name. The Onion. Here do you also want my middle name? It’s space bar

• Jaret Reply

May 27, 2011 at 8:48 am

Tired of you, I could care less what you think of me. I assume that you work, or used to work, in AS to some degree. That’s cute.
          Spewing OPP hate? How was I spewing hate against OPP by saying DP didn’t have anything to do with them getting caught up in their mess.

Should I talk shit in person to the 4 people who got disqualified, or the other 4 leg council members who aren’t getting honoraria this year? I don’t think it’s even worth my time. They already know full well they messed up. The 5 non-partisan voting members of Elections Committee made that clear. Should I rub their face in this fact everytime I see them in the office?

No, and frankly I don’t hate OPP. I voted for some of their leg council members and executives. I worked on the Respect Coalition event last with Ahmed Mostafa for the past 2 weeks.

My final point, making vague references to supposed practices that take place around the world doesn’t scare me. I’ve made 3 comments on this post including this one. Every time I use my real name because I think my points are valid enough that I don’t have to hide my face, clearly you do not feel the same way. Going off your rant, in (anywhere in the world)when you speak ill of a person anonymously, you are a coward and people will disregard you.

So in the kindest way possible, go fuck yourself :)

• Ugh!! Reply

May 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Your status have been claiming the doom of AS since the OPP Sweep. Just because you worked with Ahmed doesn’t mean shit. I have brothers in my frat I don’t respect and that doesn’t mean that I like them. No one messed up. You like many others (Including those who lied on them and elections committee) are just accusing them of something with no Physical proof.

“Certain people in OPP fucked up, and got called out on it by elections committee. OPP’s execs failed twice at bringing up an appeal”

This isn’t an example of OPP hate? But it’s ok. the fact of the matter you’re leaving so who gives a fuck what you think? You’re just a bitter old man.
            In your lasting words – “So in the kindest way possible, go fuck yourself :)”

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Damn. You real mad huh? Don’t act on empty words. If you think was a mishaps, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

11. Abrahan Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:01 am

First of all, David, thanks for your insight.
    Second of all, can people STOP using stupid phrases as their names. If you want to be throwing shit around, at least own up to your words, don’t use the internet’s power of anonymity as a disguise. No matter what your “name” is and how unbiased your “name” claims you to be, it is obvious what affiliations you have, so stfu and own up to your words.

• no! Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm

no!

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Thank you!

• Really??? Reply

May 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm

This isn’t “insight”- It’s one angry ass individual who has decided to spin his opinions as truth. Please

12. Also former AS Reply

May 26, 2011 at 10:29 am

I think everyone is confusing David with Joel (who ran and lost and is on comm on comm).

13. student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 10:22 am

Just several things I would like to point out:

1. David Preciado, you speak basically of accountability and professionalism, yet you as an RA, criticizing individuals like your statements above, now that is what I call not doing your job very well. Look, just cause you are graduating does not equal, you get to say whatever you want cause I ain’t getting sh*t.
    2. Whether they served alcohol or not is yet to be determined. I think a lot of people who are for the DQ of these people fail to recall this part. One side says that there were no alch, the other says there were. So unless one side of the story proves the actual story, they all should be innocent till PROVEN guilty. What happened to due process people?
    3. I do not appreciate you calling people out. What are you five? If you are the graduating senior that you are, ACT LIKE IT HOMIE. Stop being such a stingy kid.
    4. People who demand justice usually demand it only when they’re butt hurt. Sorry the truth stings. Where were all of you right after elections. Calling this shit out a month and a half after? Intentions are too obvious Mr. Preciado and all of DP.

• Gaga Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:04 am

It is perfectly within David’s right to call people out. Both of the individuals which David has named have submitted public statements and as such they are subject to dissection or for commentary.In addition all too often we are forced to not say what is on our mind, I think David is saying what a lot of people have been thinking and it is reflective of many opinions on our campus regardless of whether or not it is stated in way that is palatable for you.

Lastly, David is in his right to submit an article like this, he has contributed much to this campus, more than you will ever know. His position as a resident assistant should not be used to silence his criticism of the elections process. Criticism, is part of being elected to a public position. These students who are going through the elections process shouldn’t be spared the harshness of constituent criticism, in fact students should feel empowered to voice their opinions on the matter. Any notion of privacy or freedom from judgment were forfeited when these students decided to run for office.

You Go David!!!!

for the Queer People of Color out there be a “Loose Woman”

Note: A Loose Woman refers to a concept created by Sandra Cisneros’ book of poetry “Loose Woman” it describes a state of being which liberates a person, allows them to acknowledge short term goals and wants. In no way is this linked to patriarchal perspectives of female deviance and sexual promiscuity.

• student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:22 am

So, the fact that David does not practice what he wants AS to practice is totally under his discretion? True, but hypocritical and more of a reason to why his claims are boundlessly incomprehensible.

• Gaga Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:30 am

I think we must distinguish between those with institutional powers and those who are constituents like David.I also fail to see what David is “practicing”.

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Damn. This Student already did my job.

14. Former AS member as well Reply

May 26, 2011 at 10:07 am

David you say you were part of the elctions process yet were you actually part of the committee that decides thongs?

• Abrahan Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:02 am

you’re question is very vague. no one in AS officially works with “thongs” but, pretty much every single person in AS is part of a committee that decides things.

• student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:16 am

Nope.
        What BCC is David in? Not elections Committee. Also if he were to have a say in to what the elections were then elections process is DAMN rigged. Also, there is a reason to why the internet has the power of “anonymity.” So people don’t openly bash like what you did. Just saying

• Marge Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

or because some people don’t have the balls to put their name behind their words. Just saying.

• student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

and what is the point of putting names? It really doesn’t matter. What matters is that people in AS are wasting their time over something like this and not getting actual stuff done. No wonder why students don’t know what is happening in AS. Thank you to whomever brought this all up in the first place. We finally all found out that AS is just a mega-drama house.

• Ugh Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm

STFU! You been running your mouth too. Hurry and leave to Ghana or wherever. No one cares about what you have to say. You’re Paul’s lackey.

• FYI Reply

May 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Marge is Paul’s chief of staff, but you realize being chief of staff doesn’t mean that they are coming from the same point of view… From what I know at least two current execs (OPP) have approached people from DPP to be their chief’s of staff. That don’t mean nothing but the fact that the execs think these folks are qualified for the position

• Abrahan Reply

May 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Who did I bash? This whole thread is full of people bashing each other based on fucking elections. Do y’all realize that elections won’t matter by the end of this quarter. AS folks do so much fucking hard work all year long, and its all being tarnished by these conversations. Whether people step down step up or don’t move at all, the work that needs to get done with get done by the people that want to do it.

I’m just disillusioned at the fact that people are using these Nexus articles to talk all this shit, act unbiased, and not get anything done.

All this bashing is gonna get no one anywhere, whether it is anonymous or not. I am trying to produce an effective conversation and I am accusd of bashing. Until people can own up to their words and talk about their opinions and how to get past this we ain’t gonna go anywhere. And let me just say that while elections seems to be the main thing on people’s minds nowadays, there are people in AS right now still getting shit done. just saying.

• The Onion Reply

May 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hahahahaha who brings Thongs to a political issue?

15. Former AS Member Reply

May 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

I find this article laughable as well as hypocritical. Having been involved in elections as well, it is safe to say that ALL parties furnished alcohol to minors. It was common practice. I know for a fact that DP party furnished alcohol to minors this year.

Also, how is giving away sandwiches any different from DP Party giving away shirts or other goods in exchange for votes.

You are highly misrepresenting the pardall road closure. That EVPLA had a close relationship with the county and and used it to her advantage. Maybe if the president of Boss that year didn’t call the county and yell vulgarities at them all parties would have tabled.

David, I think you should be more upset that so much of your student funds go to the bottom line, basically a tabloid that prints opinions disguised as fact. I think it is in the range of 200,000 dollars…

This article simply comes accross as bitter and childish, especially when you call out the opponent you lost to. Shouldn’t you be representing yourself as a staff member of housing? This isn’t very professional, is it?

Every party has its faults. They all start off saying “This year things will be clean!” and then mud starts being thrown two weeks in. I recall someone writing terrible things on facebook about Chloe Styker, who in my mind was the most qualified candidate. But I guess their bittness over losing was too much for them to handle.

My point is it really does not matter if anyone in any party gave alcohol to anyone because that doesn’t sway votes. OPP has historically supported athletics and the greek community which probably holds more weight than some jello shots.

Why this was published in the nexus is beyond me; it seems better suited to a facebook note.

I understand your frustration, but as a representation of Housing at UCSB, DP Party, and your future professional self, you may want to avoid publishing things of this nature in the future.

• Jaret Reply

May 26, 2011 at 10:15 am

David hasn’t run for AS elections for 2 years, did not call out the person he ran against, has no ties to DP Party, and the thinly veiled threat at the bottom is uncalled for. Why don’t you write your own name and stand behind your claims?

And as someone who has worked in the EVPLA office two years and saw the letter to the businesses asking them to shut down the street that the candidate wrote and signed as “AS” I would argue that you are sorely misinformed. A candidate can use their personal connections to the county all they like, but when they ask that Pardall be closed for their party and use Associated Students name to make it happen that is indefensible, but elections committee let it slide. This is probably one of those “Way worse things which there were no consequences for” that Chloe spoke about in her interview.

That being said, as soon as this whole debacle is squared away by elections and judicial council we need to put it behind us. Yudof and the thousands of dollars in new student tuition coming down the pipe don’t really care about all this BS drama. So to the people who will be in office when the dust settles and the people who won’t be, I ask that you support each other because believe it or not there is work to be done outside of elections.

• Marge Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

Cheers to Jaret. Couldn’t have sait it better myself. To whoever this “Former AS Member” is, you are misinformed. Plain and simple.

• Kenny Reply

May 27, 2011 at 1:42 am

You say David is not involved with DP, when clearly a lot of people saw him wearing those DP tanks during elections. You’re claims that he does not have an agenda or that he is “thinly veiled” is by far not true.
        As for the Pardall bs, go check the facts first. If you know anything about the real deal, then this shit shouldn’t even have came up.
        What I refer this as is playing smart and fair. Don’t like it? Bear with it. Don’t just call something you don’t like illegal.

• Abrahan Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

There’s a difference between campaign “swag” like shirts and whatever else you like, which EVERY party does, and telling people vote for me and I’ll give you a sandwich/shot/jello

16. Background Reply

May 26, 2011 at 7:53 am

What I think people need to understand is this disqualification stuff, is really all politics. It happens at every campus, every year- really without exception. The kids that lost, get bitter and try to take power any way they can. My view is that the students at UCSB are smart- they vote who they vote for because they believe in said person. To ignore the will of hundreds of students and call for disqualification based on a very minor violation is strait up corrupt, a violation of democracy. A few years back, the UCI president was disqualified for borrowing some tables from a student group. It was viewed in the eyes of their judicial council as “accepting illegal campaign donations” and for a time until she fought it, she was disqualified. There were articles left and right in the paper calling for her head and the charges were inflated to epic proportions. The cheif of that judicial council was part of the party she ran against. This happens all the time. I could tell you stories of the shit pre-opp parties pulled in my day, like robbing all the nexuses the day endoresements were released (for which they were given a minor slap on the wrists).

• Marge Reply

May 26, 2011 at 9:36 am

This isn’t about the kids who lost getting bitter and trying to take power. David Preciado was not even a candidate during these past elections so that obviously is not his agenda in writing this article. He wants to bring light to a recurring issue on our campus with OPP.

The isn’t a corrupt “violation of democracy” by stating the truth and sharing what happened. The violation of democracy is what OPP has continued to practice for years. They are the ones who have perpetuated a system that undermines democracy through bribery, voter fraud, and blatantly unethical and ILLEGAL actions. This doesn’t happen all the time and at every campus.

This is not a “minor violation.” These students broke the law and are essentially going unpunished. To equate that to someone borrowing a table is laughable. They need to be disqualified and step down otherwise it sends the message to the student body that breaking the law is okay if you want to be paid thousands of dollars from student fees.

• student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:02 am

Whether it is illegal or not is YET to be determined. We do not know if they actually provided alch or not. And why is DP not getting any shit? I was there for their party when OPP was giving out water bottles that night. People just don’t care “Marge.” People who are so offended by this are all in AS and actual students don’t give an F about this. So why not be a good student and stop complaining and yapping so much about what ALL other parties do. If you know what OPP did was illegal, I demand that DP get the same BS. They DID have alcohol in that party.

• you're a dumbass Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:06 am

There was no alcohol at that party.. I wasn’t able to go, but I know for a fact that they made sure people didn’t bring alcohol. People showing up drunk is not the same thing…just saying “student”.. and even so, having a party with alcohol doesn’t event come close to saying, go vote and I’ll give you a jello shot (whether there was alcohol in the jello shot or not

• student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 11:20 am

Yeah and I am supposed to take your word for it because you weren’t there. Is this how things are going? Bringing up claims without even being probable in cause? Like yourself? You said it. You were not there. I was. So STFU. “You’re a dumbass.”

• student Reply

May 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I was there and there was no alcohol, so stfu.

• Real Student Reply

May 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I was there and there was alcohol, so Stfu.

• Umm Reply

May 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Excuse me but if I remember correctly, weren’t you serving alcohol (in a school girl outfit I might add) at one of your parties earlier in the year? (just to focus on the bolded ILLEGAL part) So you of all people should not be talking about “ILLEGAL actions”
        And this sending a message crap is stupid. Had it not been for the fact that one of friends ran, i wouldn’t have even known wtf AS is so there’s no way to send a message if no one reads it (Knows what the fuck AS is)and that much is true at least for the first years and those of us in the greek system

• Marge Reply

May 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Newsflash! Not everyone is as ignorant, apathetic and uneducated as you. Kudos to you for having a friend who ran and finally deciding to be somewhat of an involved member of your community, but for the rest of the UCSB population who knows what AS is and knows who they want elected for legitimate reasons, they are still receiving that message.

• Umm Reply

May 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm

The rest = those who are involved an the friends of those involved. They are receive that message then they are dumb for not understanding that it’s not all AS. In fact people don’t even think that AS is sending that message. That’s the problem with all of you silly political fanatics. You think everything someone does sends a message. Well get this message; It’s not sending a message that people are worried about, It’s their own party’s future. Everyone sees this as the victims (sore losers) trying to complain their way into positions. Oh the next time you call me uneducated, I’ll deal with you in person. Leave already.

• Marge Reply

May 30, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I would love to have a discussion with you in person if you would actually have the balls to say your real name, especially since I will stand by the fact that you are uneducated since you still think that the only people who care about AS are the people who are involved or friends with people who are involved. All actions send out a message whether you choose to accept it or not.

17. People who Live in Glass Houses Shouldnt Throw Stones Reply

May 26, 2011 at 7:35 am

Hmmmmm, The students dont like what we stand for, thought we were less qualified and didnt vote for us. Damn Them to Hell! Lets just disqualify the kids they did vote for, call it democracy/justice and take over those high paying executive positions for ourselves! Muahahahhahahahahaha!