The nation was swept by a wave of conservative victories in red and dark blue states alike, giving the GOP a majority in the House of Representatives. However, winning these races is only the first step in returning our country to the type of governing our Constitution outlines and founding fathers envisioned; The House must stand up and do what they were elected to. Most importantly, the House must propose and vote repeatedly on an outright repeal of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 and Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Lastly, Republicans must fight to make the Bush tax rates permanent, relieving the ailing economy and moving the country toward economic recovery.

[media-credit id=20122 align=”alignleft” width=”239″][/media-credit]Even though President Obama will veto any outright repeal on health care, it’s important to give the American people an honest attempt to do the job Republicans were sent to do. It’s important to take the names of those who vote “no” on this up or down repeal, as it will expose the “blue dog” Democrats, many from traditionally conservative states.

However, since complete repeal is unlikely before 2013, Republicans need to defund the bill by voting not to appropriate funds needed for most of the provisions and cut funding for already apportioned spending in the bill itself. Additionally, language in legislation could ban the Dept. of Health and Human Services from writing and implementing regulations or engaging in any other federal activity concerning health insurance exchanges, even though the act provides money for the DHHS to give grants for states to develop exchanges. Exposing liberal Democrats and liberal Republicans will help build momentum for the 2012 election, which sets up a nice resurgence for the GOP to reclaim the U.S. Senate.

Republicans must also relentlessly make the case to keep tax rates at their current levels. Although class warfare liberals like Paul Krugman and failed host Keith Olbermann claim the cuts only benefit the rich, these across-the-board tax cuts benefit everybody in America who pays taxes. When exploring tax rates, there is an across-the-board increase in income taxes if the rates are allowed to expire. Married couples will be hit with higher tax rates and lower standard deductions when the “marriage penalty” is reinstated. Child tax credits will go from $1,000 to $500, hampering and punishing middle class families with children.

The return of the death tax will further institutionalize theft from families that have worked hard to accumulate wealth by taxing estates over $1 million at 55 percent (the current rate is 0 percent), because it just wouldn’t be fair to deny government its fair share of your private property. Taxes on dividends will increase from 15 percent to 39.6 percent and capital gains taxes from 15 to 20 percent. In total, government would remove nearly $2.6 trillion from the market by 2020, stifling recovery and repeating the same mistakes made by Herbert Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt which took a recession and turned it into a depression.

Although the election is a great victory for liberty and conservative principals, the American people responsible for the election outcome must remain vigilant and active in the political system by holding their officials accountable.

The repeal of Obamacare and pushing to continue the current tax level is a good start.