New Fees

Career Services: $5.55
Unlike those offered by CLAS and Counseling Services, the services provided by the Career Center are easily found elsewhere. While asking students for money is easier than making the hard decisions necessary to balance a budget internally, it is unfair and unnecessary.
The Nexus does not support this fee.

CLAS: $16.16
Affordable academic tutoring services are vital to maintaining the quality of education at UCSB. CLAS benefits (and employs) enough students to justify this steep new fee.
The Nexus supports this fee.

Counseling Services: $10.85
The Counseling Center offers free services to all students, including appointments, drop-in hours and support groups. Available, affordable mental health services are essential for the overall health and happiness of our community.
The Nexus supports this fee.

Student Services Renewable Energy Initiative: $6.00
Student lock-in fees should go to provide services that benefit students directly, not pay for costly special projects. Even worse, this fee won’t be up for reaffirmation for ten years, setting a bad precedent.
The Nexus does not support this fee.

Isla Vista Arts: $2.00
I.V. Arts provides funding for several student-run groups, including Magic Lantern Films and Word Magazine. All students stand to benefit from these services.
The Nexus supports this fee.

Fee Reaffirmations

UCen Support Fee: $9.00
The UCen employs hundreds of students and provides the entire student body with a place to study, eat and hang out on campus. Without the continuation of this fee, hours will be cut even more, keeping us out of OUR building.
The Nexus supports this fee.

Intercollegiate Athletics Scholarships Fee: $9.00
Student athletes receive countless perks, including free personal tutoring, priority registration and access to exclusive gym facilities (paid for with a $34 fee from students). ICA should seek donations or other funds to support these scholarships.
The Nexus does not support this fee.

Multicultural Center Support Fee: $1.75
The MCC offers numerous free programs throughout the year and provides meeting and performance space for various student groups. This fee will help maintain the center and provide student jobs.
The Nexus supports this fee.

Community Affairs Board Volunteer Support Fee: $0.76
Community Affairs Board receives over $130,000 from the A.S. lock-in fee — why do they need more?
The Nexus does not support this fee.

Rec Sports Fee: $7.00
Reaffirming this fee will make it possible for any interested student to participate by keeping sign-up costs low. It also funds hundreds of on-campus student jobs.
The Nexus supports this fee.

The Green Initiative Fund: $3.47
This fund aims to provide grant money for environmentally friendly projects, but its most expensive projects have been off-campus. Student money should not fund groups that fail to provide tangible benefits to our campus.
The Nexus does not support this fee.

Education Opportunity Program: $1.25
EOP provides services and scholarships to underprivileged students. Making college affordable for everyone benefits our campus.
The Nexus supports this fee.

Night and Weekend Parking: $3.33
This modest fee shields students from sky-high rates at on-campus parking lots.
The Nexus supports this fee.