Like spending your landlord’s money? How about on a skate park?

If you’re living in Isla Vista, a sliver of your rent is used to pay a “bedroom” tax from which the Isla Vista Recreation and Park District receives $10 per I.V. dwelling unit for park maintenance and improvements. The district also rakes in money from state bonds – about $500,000 over the last seven years – to be used for the creation of new recreation projects, and a small amount of cash comes from park reservation fees and restitution from vandalism fines.

Since most of the money comes from Isla Vistans – and the vandals living among them – IVRPD finance committee members are ready to listen to the locals at tomorrow’s 6 p.m. meeting in the district’s main office at 961 Embarcadero Del Mar.

Fresh suggestions are of course welcomed, but board members already have several ideas pinned down, including such routine costs as the installation and restoration of benches and fences, and the resurfacing of the basketball courts in Greek Park. Board member Dale Sumerville said there is currently about $400,000 worth of park maintenance and improvement projects to be completed in I.V. parks and open spaces.

At the other end of the spectrum, board members will discuss the construction of a 15,000 square foot skate park in I.V. Board member Diane Conn said a skate park is an ideal way to spend money, because both students and other members of the community would likely use the facility. Money from state bonds will likely fund the project.

For those seeking a good outdoor workout, the committee will consider the implementation of a “park horse,” which is a series of exercise stations in parks throughout the community. The park horse is a similar concept to the Frisbee golf course that was several years ago by placing baskets in various parks in I.V.

Funding for a new soccer field in Estero Park may also soon be on the way, as committee members will discuss using the funds from a state grant given to the district a year and a half ago.