Two UCSB students were killed Saturday night in the East Bay area of California in a car crash, which left a third UCSB student hurt and two other passengers seriously injured.

Two third-year students, 21-year-old Angela Nguyen and her boyfriend, 19-year-old Jonathan Kendall, were passengers in the backseat of a mini-van that skid off the road, crashed into a tree and caught on fire, a California Highway Patrol press release stated. They were unable to escape from the car. The driver, 20-year-old Monterey Park resident Kevan Chu, and two other passengers survived but sustained injuries.

Nguyen was a psychology major and Kendall was a business economics major, said Candace Stevenson, assistant to the dean of students.

Chu was traveling along Cummings Skyway at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the vehicle, which skidded down a tree-covered embankment, the CHP press release stated. Chu and two other passengers were able to escape from the flame-engulfed vehicle.

Chu and UC Berkeley student Samantha Robinson sustained major injuries from the crash and were discharged Tuesday from Eden Hospital in Castro Valley. UCSB third-year biomolecular science major Muy Low was treated for a minor complaint of pain at a Contra Costa County Hospital, located near where the crash occurred.

CHP spokesman Scott Yox said a thorough investigation of the crash has not yet been completed, but Chu was found to not be under the influence of alcohol. However, he could face charges of vehicular manslaughter, a felony.

Joint funeral services for Nguyen and Kendall will be held in San Jose at Oak Hill Memorial Park Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Stevenson said.