When most students make a typo, their professors mark them down. Associated Students made a typo affecting roughly 3,500 professors.

Ten thousand copies of the 2000-01 A.S. student directories arrived at the beginning of this month with the same phone number and address listed for 3,500 staff members. The phone number, 893-3791, and address belong to English Professor Porter Abbott. Abbott also was listed twice, one listing with a middle initial and the other without. Tonight, Legislative Council will debate how to fix these mistakes and put the already-delayed directories in the hands of students.

On Monday, Finance Board reviewed a bill requesting $15,000 to print new directories, but eventually decided reprinting the entire directory would be too wasteful. Instead, the board allocated $3,000 to fix the problem without completely destroying the original 10,000 directories. Leg Council has final approval of the allocation.

Off-Campus Rep Hagen Green authored the bill and said the problem was not A.S.’s fault – they are just trying to fix it now that it has been discovered.

“You can’t point fingers at just one entity,” he said. “It was not 100 percent our fault. We did correct some errors [in the directory], but obviously we didn’t catch them all.”

The proposed $3,000 would be divided into two parts: $2,000 for printing costs for a faculty phone number supplement and $1,000 for labor. Leg Council reps and other A.S. board and committee members would do the labor. The directories would have the flawed staff pages ripped out and a sticker placed on the front directing students to call 893-8000 for staff numbers.

Off-Campus Rep Bill Flores said about 200 directories were distributed and then recollected.

“The current directories were still useful,” he said. “And we do have a duty to those who pay for advertising to distribute them.”

Finance Board Vice Chair Eric Lindquist said the directories were still a “great student service,” even without the staff pages.

Green said no final decisions have been made.

“The money has not been spent,” he said, “and students can still make their voices heard.”