The Associated Students Program Board presented the Daedalum Luminarium — an indoor, colorful interactive light exhibit — to UC Santa Barbara Campus from May 5-7.

• 23_05_08 – Luminarium – Shiuan Cheng – #4
  • 23_05_08 – Luminarium – Shiuan Cheng – #10
  • 23_05_08 – Luminarium – Shiuan Cheng – #12
  • 230507-luminarium-ZhiyuRen#10

Created by a team of artists called Architects of Air, the exhibit was located on the UCSB Faculty Lawn and open from 12-6 p.m. during the weekend. The event was free admission and open to the public, according to the event description on the Associated Students Program Board (ASPB) website.

“The luminarium offers a dazzling maze of winding paths and soaring domes where Islamic architecture, Archimedean solids and Gothic cathedrals meld into an inspiring monument to the beauty of light and color, and where visitors can happily lose themselves,” the description read.

The Daedalum Luminarium is one of the many Architects of Air exhibits that have debuted across the world.  

ASPB Cultural Events Coordinator Larry Huynh lamented that not everyone who attended the event could experience the luminarium because of time and space constraints. 

“I wish we did not have to turn away so many people,” Huynh said in a statement to the Nexus. “It breaks our hearts to do so, but we did the best we could to get as many people as we could while also respecting the time of everyone who was contributing to it.” 

Regardless, Huynh categorized the event as a success, emphasizing the sizable turnout for the installation.

“It was successful in that we saw almost three thousand community members enjoy the wonder and art of the Luminarium,” Huynh said in a statement to the Nexus. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 5 of the May 11, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Alex Levin
Alex Levin (he/him) is the University News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Levin was the Assistant News Editor for the 2022-2023 school year. He can be reached at alexlevin@dailynexus.com.