Walter H. Capps Center hosts guest lecturer to discuss democracy

The Walter H. Capps Center is hosting a lecture titled “Let’s Talk about Democracy,” hosted by Ellis Cose, an author and founder of the Renewing American Democracy project. The event will take place on Thursday, Feb. 23, from 5-6:30 p.m. at the Loma Pelona Center in room 1108. 

“Ellis will synthesize the history of American democracy and explore the role of race, class, and cultural conflict in the nation’s evolution,” the Shoreline description read

The event is only open to undergraduate students, and snacks and refreshments will be provided. 

The Walter H. Capps Center for the Study of Ethics, Religion, and Public Life provides space for discussion about ethical teaching and values in relation to civic life. 

Transfer Student Center hosts painting night 

The Transfer Student Center, in collaboration with the Transfer Student Alliance, is hosting a “Paint & Sip Night” on Thursday, Feb. 23, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Transfer Student Center on the first floor of the UC Santa Barbara Library.

Attendees will have access to paint kits, snacks and drinks. 

The Transfer Student Center is a departmental space for UCSB transfer students to access resources and support. The Transfer Student Alliance is an Associated Students (A.S.) organization that creates space for connections between incoming, active and alumni transfer students at UCSB. 

A.S. Zero Waste Committee hosts Zero Waste Festival 

The A.S. Zero Waste Committee is holding its annual Zero Waste Festival on Friday, Feb. 24, from 12-3 p.m. at Storke Plaza. The festival will host UCSB organizations with a mission of promoting zero waste and environmental sustainability.

The festival will host a Dr. Bronner’s soap refill station, provide reusable utensil sets and free food, organize a free bike repair stand in collaboration with the A.S. Bike Shop, hold an art contest and more. 

The A.S. Zero Waste Committee is a community organization that works to reduce waste on campus and promote educational awareness on living a zero-waste lifestyle. 

Health and Wellness holds workshop for healthy body image for QT students 

UCSB Health and Wellness is hosting a workshop titled “Comfortable in my Own Skin: A Workshop on Healthy Body Image for QT Students,” on Friday, Feb. 24, from 3-4 p.m. in the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) lounge. The workshop will discuss experiences with body image within the LGBTQIA+ community.

Prospective attendees can register for the workshop on Shoreline. 

MCC holds 10th annual social justice conference 

The MultiCultural Center (MCC) is hosting its 10th annual Social Justice Conference on Saturday, Feb. 25, and Sunday, Feb. 26, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the MCC theater. This year’s conference is titled “Restoration for Revolution,” and the event will be on Zoom as well as in-person. 

For us, restoration means rebelling from oppressive ideologies and institutions that deny us of our right to dream, create, and be loved as we are,” the Shoreline description read in explanation of this year’s theme. “Through Restoration for Revolution, we intend to develop means derived from sincerity and self-determination to achieve the ends of conscious resistance.”

The event is spearheaded by the interns of the Jackson Social Justice Legacy Scholarship. There will be closed captioning and American Sign Language services provided by request. 

The event will feature workshops, healers, scholars, food and raffle opportunities. 

RCSGD creates space for BIPOC staff and faculty coping with burnout 

The RCSGD is holding a workshop for UCSB staff and faculty who are Black, Indigenous and people of color on Tuesday, Feb. 28, from 1-4 p.m. in the Student Resource Building multipurpose room. The workshop will discuss how to cope with burnout, as well as explore healing practices to assist with fatigue and losing a sense of self. 

The workshop will be led by Roza Nozari, an illustrator, storyteller and therapist. 

Attendees can participate in art-making, including tote bag painting, rock painting and canvas painting. No experience is required. Prospective participants can register on Shoreline for the event. 

RCSGD is UCSB’s LGBTQIA+ center that provides support and resources for LGBTQIA+ communities and education on LGBTQIA+ topics. 

Graduate Student Resource Center hosts mixer for grad student experiences 

The Graduate Student Resource Center (GSRC) is hosting a mixer to serve as an informal, social space to discuss various professional and personal experiences between graduate students. The social will take place Wednesday, March 1, from 3-4 p.m. at the Center for Innovative Teaching, Research, and Learning at the UCSB Library. 

The event is a collaboration with the GSRC’s new Diversity & Outreach Peer Advisor Felicia Rutland, the Center for Innovative Teaching, Research, and Learning and the MCC. Attendees can participate in games, activities and conversations about equitable teaching practices and communication strategies. 

GSRC is the primary resource for graduate students at UCSB for career and professional support. 

Instructional Development hosts international TA appreciation social 

Instructional Development is hosting an international teaching assistant (TA) appreciation social on Wednesday, March 1, from 3-4:30 p.m. at Kerr Hall in room 1126. The social aims to provide an opportunity for international TAs to socialize. 

The event is run by Interdisciplinary Humanities Center Public Humanities Graduate Fellow Olga Faccani, Graduate Division International Peer Advisor Dee Dee Hong and Office of International Students & Scholars International Program Coordinator Ashley Rifkin.

Food and refreshments will be provided. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Feb. 23, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.