Undocumented Student Services hosts workshops for FAFSA or CA Dream Act 

UC Santa Barbara’s Undocumented Student Services (USS) is hosting a series of workshops in February to help students fill out their financial aid or California Dream Act applications. The next workshop will be on Thursday, Feb. 16 from 4-6 p.m. over Zoom

USS supports the academic, professional and personal progress of undocumented students at UCSB through programs, services and resources. 

A.S. C.O.D.E. leads community engagement workshop for accessibility and inclusivity 

The Associated Students Commission on Disability and Equality (C.O.D.E.) is collaborating with the MultiCultural Center (MCC) to host an “Accessibility is love and Community Care: A Dignity-Infused Community Engagement Workshop” to make individual and group outreach efforts more inclusive. The hybrid workshop will take place Thursday, Feb. 16, at 5 p.m. in the MCC lounge and on Zoom. 

Join us for a training opportunity to cover best practices, mediums, and techniques to ensure that you and your team/org’s current and future outreach efforts are inclusive and accessible for everyone,” the Shoreline description read.

The workshop will be led by C.O.D.E. Co-Chair Sophia Lee-Park, and the Zoom link will be provided upon registration.

C.O.D.E. works toward disability justice, advocacy and success by and for campus community members with disabilities. 

Guest lecturer discusses role of emotions in environmental racism fights 

UCSB MCC is hosting a lecture led by Loyola Marymount University Professor Nadia Kim on the “role of emotions in environmental racism fights.” The lecture will take place on Thursday, Feb. 16, from 6-7:30 p.m. at the MCC theater. 

The lecture will surround her book titled “Refusing Death,” that focuses on Asian American and Latinx activists in Los Angeles. 

Prospective attendees can register for the lecture on Shoreline

The MCC hosts educational programming, study and safe spaces for UCSB community members of color and more. 

RCSGD hosts outdoor study session for LGBTQIA+ students 

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (​​RCSGD) is hosting a queer study session in collaboration with Nature Wellbeing in front of Summit Cafe on Friday, Feb. 17, from 2:15-4:15 p.m. 

“Get ready for midterms with us by being mindful in nature and learning some study tricks,” the event description read. 

Students can register for the session on Shoreline.

RCSGD serves as UCSB’s LGBTQIA+ center on campus. 

UCSB NSU hosts Japanese winter festival 

UCSB’s Nikkei Student Union (NSU) is hosting a winter festival to showcase Japanese culture on Friday, Feb. 17, from 4-8 p.m. at Storke Plaza.

The event will feature Japanese foods, cultural activity stands and various performances from the organization’s members and Kendo Club. 

NSU is a Japanese American social and cultural organization on campus that fosters community for Japanese American students and those interested in Japanese culture. 

Iaorana Te Otea hosts winter quarter luau 

Iaorana Te Otea (ITO) is hosting its winter quarter luau on Saturday, Feb. 18, from 4-5:30 p.m. at Lotte Lehmann Concert Hall. Tickets are $5 at the entrance. 

“ITO’s Lūʻau event is a performance done by ITO members who share an interest and appreciation for Hawaiian and Polynesian culture through dance and drumming,” the event description read. “This event aims to demonstrate members’ learnings of Hawaiian and Polynesian culture throughout the school year while sharing admiration of these cultures with audience members.”

ITO is UCSB’s Hawaiian and Polynesian dance and drumming club

UCSB VSA hosts annual Pho King “Battle of the Gods” 

UCSB’s Vietnamese Student Association is hosting its annual “Pho King” competition on Saturday, Feb. 18, at 6 p.m. at Campbell Hall. Tickets are $10 presale and $12 at the door.

“Pho King is an annual male pageant and charity show that presents an image of Asian Americans that does not coincide with common stereotypes in mainstream media,” the event description read

VSA works to provide a community to share the Vietnamese heritage for UCSB students. 

SASA hosts winter town hall 

UCSB’s Students Against Sexual Assault (SASA) is hosting its winter town hall on Wednesday, Feb. 22, from 2-4 p.m. in the Student Resource Building Multipurpose Room. The group will discuss drug testing availability, community climate, changes in police presence and more. 

SASA is an Associated Students organization that works to eliminate sexual assault and sexual harassment at UCSB and in the local community. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Feb. 16, 2023, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.