Office of International Students and Scholars showcases culture in fashion show for International Education Week 2022 

The Office of International Students and Scholars at UC Santa Barbara is hosting a “Showcase of Cultures: Fashion Show” to conclude International Education Week 2022 on Friday, Nov. 18, from 7-8:30 p.m. at The Hub in the UCen. The show will feature fashion pieces from an array of cultures.

The show will highlight members of the UCSB student body, who will model their respective cultural attires for the runway.

Light snacks will be provided at the event, and it is free and open to all UCSB community members. 

RCSGD hosts Aro/Ace Fall Social

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity is hosting an Aro/Ace Fall Social on Saturday, Nov. 19, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Student Resource Building (SRB) front lawn. 

The social welcomes all aromantic, demisexual, asexual, grey-ace and questioning individuals at UCSB. Participants can have autumn-themed snacks and have opportunities to socialize. 

Prospective attendees can register on Shoreline to join. 

MCC hosts children’s event in Día de La Monarca
The MultiCultural Center is hosting an “MCC Children’s Event: Día De La Monarca” on Sunday, Nov. 20, from 12-2 p.m. at the Orfalea Family Children’s Center to help monarch butterflies return home.  

The event is in collaboration with UCSB’s Early Childhood Care & Education Services and will feature family-oriented activities with games, presentations and performances, among others. 

Monarch butterflies migrate to Goleta each November through February,” the Shoreline description read. “The monarch butterfly remains an important cultural symbol for many indigenous groups and within the national culture of Mexico. The monarch has become a metaphor for transformation and hope.” 

Butterfly wings and costumes are encouraged for participants, and carpooling is encouraged as well. No pets are allowed at the event. 

New A.S. Commission on Culture, Arts & Joy Justice is hiring

A newly formed Associated Students Commission is working to promote equity, inclusion and belonging for Black, Indigenous and People of Color at UCSB and is currently hiring board members. 

The commission hopes to cultivate its pillars through cultural celebrations, advocacy initiatives, educational programming and coalition-building, according to the organization’s website.

“This commission offers a platform for coalition-building among BIPOC students and cultural organizations to strengthen a united front in tackling intersectional issues, to hold the institution accountable to their equity, diversity and inclusion measures, and to ensure the sustainability of these student-led efforts for institutional changes,” the commission’s mission read.

SASA holds quarterly Interpersonal Violence Prevention Town Hall 

A.S. Students Against Sexual Assault (SASA) is hosting its quarterly Interpersonal Violence Prevention Town Hall on Thursday, Nov. 17, from 3-5 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the SRB. 

The town hall aims to create opportunities for community members at UCSB to voice their concerns to the university regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment in according to UCSB’s Title IX Compliance and Sexual Harassment Policy Compliance Office. It will be operated as a public forum and community discussion. 

The town hall will be followed by another town hall during winter quarter for SASA to update the community on the organization’s progress in making these issues heard by administration. 

The town hall is open to all community members, and prospective attendees can register through an RSVP link — though registration is not required to attend. 

BSU hosts community potluck in collaboration with multiple Black-affiliated campus organizations

UCSB’s Black Student Union is hosting a “Good Eats Community Potluck” on Friday, Nov. 18, from 5-7 p.m. at 6703 Sueno Road. 

The event is in collaboration with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship’s Black Campus Ministry, Caribbean Student Association, National Society of Black Engineers and Scientists, Black Graduate Student Union, East African Student Association, Nigerian Student Association and the Mu Kappa Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha. 

“Bring your favorite dish and come chow down on food from BSU and other Black UCSB organizations,” the Instagram description read

Prospective attendees can sign up to bring food to the potluck through BSU’s Instagram bio

A version of this article appeared on p. 2  of the Nov. 17, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.