UC Santa Barbara’s Academic Senate extended the deadline to change grading options and to late-drop a course for Fall Quarter 2022, the Division of Undergraduate Education announced in its Nov. 18 email. 

The decision was made in response to the current higher education strike at UCSB that began on Nov. 14 across all 10 University of California campuses, resulting in tens of thousands of academic employees withholding their labor in protest of alleged unfair labor practices. 

Students now have the opportunity to change their course grades to passed/not passed until Dec. 2 — the last day of instruction for fall quarter. Dec. 2 also marks the last day students can request to drop courses for academic reasons. 

The Senate has approved the extension of the deadline because it recognizes that the TA strike has caused uncertainty for students in some of their fall courses,” the email stated. 

Students are still expected to take major and minor courses for a letter grade, and students on academic probation are not allowed to change their grades to passed/not passed options for optional grading courses. 

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.