A UC Santa Barbara student passed away Thursday morning in Manzanita Village, the staff of Residential & Community Living announced in an Oct. 27 email to its residents.

Mark Alfred / Daily Nexus

“Earlier today, you may have noticed emergency personnel in the building. We are sad to share that we have had a student death in the building,” the staff said in their statement. “We are thinking of all our Manzanita Village community members who have been impacted by this loss and we are here for you.”

The university expressed its sympathies in a statement to the Nexus and said that no foul play was suspected. No indication was given as to whether the student’s identity would be released in the future.

“Our hearts and deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the student who passed away on campus earlier this week,” UCSB Media Relations Manager Kiki Reyes said in the statement. “For privacy reasons we cannot discuss any of the details, but there does not appear to be any foul play involved.”

Students in need are encouraged to contact Counseling & Psychological Services by appointment or by calling 805-893-4411 to reach a live counselor should they need support, Reyes said. Faculty and staff can get assistance through the Academic & Staff Assistance Program. 

“We are aware of the impact and stress as we process this tragedy. We have resources available to students, staff and faculty who are in need of support in their time of healing,” Reyes said in her statement.

Mark Alfred
Mark Alfred (he/him) was the University News Editor for the 2022-23 school year.