RCSGD opens applications for volunteers for Marsha P. Johnson Volunteer Program 

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) is reopening its applications for the Marsha P. Johnson Volunteer Program, which provides opportunities for LGBTQIA+ students and advocates to support the RCSGD in publicity efforts while gaining leadership skills and spearheading individual creative projects. Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the academic year. 

Selected volunteers are required to attend one volunteer training per year, assist with facilitating RCSGD events and discussion spaces via self-assignment and provide help with miscellaneous RCSGD duties as needed, including button making, tabling and flier distribution, according to the Shoreline description. Reach out to qtoutreach@sa.ucsb.edu for any questions. 

Women’s Center introduces Inaugural Scholar in Residence during Open House 

The Women’s Center at UC Santa Barbara is hosting an Open House on Thursday, Oct. 20, from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Student Resource Building front lawn. The event will feature and welcome professor Felice Blake as the center’s Inaugural Scholar in Residence. 

The event will provide refreshments, live jazz music and conversations among participants, facilitators and Blake. Prospective attendees can register for the event on Shoreline

RCSGD hosts Introduction to Kink Workshop with BDSM researchers 

RCSGD is hosting a workshop on the topic of kinks and bondage, dominance, sadism and masochism (BDSM) on Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 6 p.m. in conversation with those educated in the realm. 

The event will feature the following panelists, all of whom are graduate students at UCSB: doctoral candidate of sociology and BDSM researcher Cierra Sorin, doctoral candidate of geography and kink community member Kristina Fauss and doctoral candidate of theater and performance studies and BDSM researcher Heath Pennington. These panelists will discuss what defines kinks and BDSM as well as consent and types of kinks, which will then be followed by a Q&A session. 

Prospective attendees can register for the workshop here

Affordable Connectivity Program helps Isla Vista residents enroll for low-cost internet 

Get Connected! California is hosting a free Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Enrollment event with CalFresh on Saturday, Oct. 22, from 1 to 4:30 p.m. in collaboration with the Isla Vista Community Services District to assist I.V. residents in enrolling for free or low-cost internet. Attendees will also have a chance to win a Chromebook if they apply for the ACP benefit. The event will take place at 976 Embarcadero Del Mar in Suite 101. 

Get Connected! California is a program funded by the California Emerging Technology Fund to increase enrollment for the California ACP, which is a federally funded entity that provides eligible individuals with free or low-cost internet access, according to the press release. 

Department of Recreation hosts event at UCSB climbing wall for LGBTQIA+ students 

The Department of Recreation is hosting “Climbing with Pride” on Saturday, Oct. 22, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Recreation Center climbing wall for students in the LGBTQIA+ community who want to get into climbing. The workshop will be led by climbing center staff and the evening will feature climbing activities at the wall and socializing. 

Though the gym will be open to the public during the event for climbing, there will be a designated top rope and auto belay section for this event, and harnesses and shoes will be provided, according to the Shoreline description

Students can enter the current waiting list for the event here

CARE hosts workshop for graduate students on trauma-informed classrooms and interpersonal relationships 

Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education (CARE) is hosting “CARE to Thrive: Interpersonal Relationships” on Monday, Oct. 24, from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the Graduate Student Association Lounge in the Student Resource Building. The workshop aims to assist graduate students in recognizing healthy and unhealthy interpersonal relationships inside and outside the classroom, as well as how to cultivate a trauma-informed classroom and respond to personal disclosures from undergraduate students as teaching assistants. 

The workshop will be offered in a hybrid format, and participants can choose between attending in person or through Zoom. The event is open to all graduate students, and prospective attendees can register for the event here

MCC hosts diversity lecture on children suffering at U.S. and Mexico border 

The MultiCultural Center is hosting a diversity lecture titled, “Death, Violence & Deportation: The Politics of Children’s Suffering at the US-Mexico Border,” on Tuesday, Oct. 25. from 6 to 8 p.m. via Zoom. The lecture will be led by University of San Francisco associate professor Genevieve Negrón-Gonzales, who will focus on the killing of three teenage boys at the U.S. and Mexico border between 2010 and 2013. She will allude to these killings in discussing the deportation regime, her research on undocumented individuals and the impact of the immigration system on children. 

This event is sponsored by the Office of Equal Opportunity & Discrimination Prevention and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Undocumented Student Services. 

Prospective participants can register for the lecture on Shoreline, and the online lecture can be viewed on Tuesday at this link

A version of this article appeared on p.2 of the Oct. 20, 2022 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.