UC Santa Barbara Chancellor Henry T. Yang was investigated by the California Highway Patrol for allegedly hitting a student skateboarding through a campus crosswalk on May 16, the LA Times reported today. California Highway Patrol is not proceeding with legal charges because they could not substantiate the hit-and-run allegations or the cause of the collision. 

Chancellor Henry T. Yang, pictured during 2016 convocation, denied the allegations. Daily Nexus File Photo

According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) report obtained by the LA Times, the student, who suffered minor injuries, identified the chancellor as the driver. 

The investigation was originally handled by the UCSB Police Department but given to the CHP due to conflict of interest. 

Yang’s name was redacted from the documents released for public record and given to the LA Times, but two law enforcement officials with knowledge of the case told the LA Times that he was the focus of the investigation and his name was removed from public record. 

The student alleged that he was struck by the front of the car, rolled across the hood and injured his right hip and foot, according to the police report. He fell to the ground, stood up and got a clear look at the driver — a woman in the passenger seat, who the student later identified as Dilling Yang, made hand motions to him — but the car then left the scene, he told authorities. 

The report detailed that while the student seemed unsure of which of Yang’s cars hit him when they went to Yang’s property, he was able to positively identify both Yang and his wife — the alleged passenger — in a photo lineup. 

In a statement to the LA Times, UCSB denied the allegations and cited the CHP report, which said no physical damage was found on the chancellor’s car that would indicate a collision occurred. 

“This was not a hit-and-run,” the university said in a statement. “The Chancellor and his wife were surprised to learn of the allegations and they have always maintained that their vehicle did not collide with anyone. … The University and the Chancellor took the allegations of this skateboarder seriously.”

Yang “wants to respect the skateboarder’s report of what the skateboarder believed occurred,” UCSB said in its statement to the LA Times. “Resources were made available to the skateboarder, if he requested them, no matter what the source of the injuries.”

Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.