Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity Hosts QT Student Art Gallery 

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity is holding the final event of its year-long Queer and Trans Student Art Showcase project on May 20 from 2:30-4:30 p.m. on the first floor of the Student Resource Building conference room.

The theme for the art gallery is “Warmth/Radiance” and/or “Power,” and the art gallery is centered around “queer and/or trans artists and art lovers,” the Shoreline description stated.

Ravaani Performs A Cappella Spring Concert 

UC Santa Barbara’s South Asian fusion a cappella team, Ravaani, is performing its inaugural on-campus debut concert on May 20 at 8 p.m. in Girvetz Hall room 1004. 

“We are excited to be sharing arrangements from conference sets past and present with the UCSB community and showcase our unique blend of South Asian music and current hits,” the Shoreline description stated.

The event is free for all undergraduate and graduate students. 

MultiCultural Center Hosts Open Mic Night With MC Tufawon

The MultiCultural Center is hosting its quarterly Open Mic night with Tufawon — a Dakota/Boricua hip-hop artist from Minnesota — as the MC. The event will take place on May 20 from 7:30-9 p.m. in the Biko Garage at 6612 Sueno Road. 

Open mic opportunities are open to anyone who wants to artistically express themselves through creative outlets like spoken word, poetry and music. 

Associated Students Hosts Love and Remembrance Day in Observance of 2014 Isla Vista Tragedy

In commemoration of the eight-year anniversary of the May 23, 2014, tragedy in Isla Vista, Associated Students is encouraging UCSB community members to visit the Isla Vista Love & Remembrance Garden on May 23. Visitors are welcome to bring flowers or other offerings to leave on the benches of the garden at any time throughout the day. 

The Isla Vista Recreation & Park District “staff have lovingly prepared the garden for visitors and while visiting, we ask that you practice social distancing and take care of our beloved garden,” the Associated Students website stated

I.V. Community Services District Hosts Mobility Plan Workshop 

The I.V. Community Services District (IVCSD) is hosting an Isla Vista Mobility Plan Workshop on May 25 at 6 p.m. in the Isla Vista Community Center. The event offers a forum for community members to discuss transportation options in Isla Vista, including parking, sidewalks and potential infrastructural improvements for bussing access, as well as make efforts toward environmental sustainability. 

The event will have Spanish, Mandarin and American Sign Language interpretation, and childcare and dinner will be provided. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the May 19, 2022, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.