Health & Wellness Hosts Discussion About Male Body Image

UC Santa Barbara Health & Wellness is hosting a discussion as a part of their Community Connect series, in which they explore health topics and life skills weekly. The talk will center around the “social stigma surrounding men’s body standards and eating disorders,” according to the Shoreline description, and will take place on May 5 from 6:30-7:45 p.m. in the Women’s Center lounge in the Student Resource Building. 

Women’s Center Hosts Open Mic Night in Honor of Mother’s Day

The UCSB Women’s Center is hosting “Nurturing This Space: An Open Mic to Celebrate All Mothers” on May 6 at 5-7 p.m. in the MultiCultural Center (MCC) lounge. This non-traditional Mother’s Day celebration looks to bring together everyone in the community to recognize all mothers, including “queer kinships, chosen family, drag mothers, trans mothers” and more. Community members can perform songs, poems, drag, short stories and any other creative endeavors. 

Those interested in performing must sign up prior to the event and those who would like to register to attend can do so on Shoreline.  

Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity Hosts Pool Party for Transgender, Nonbinary and Gender Nonconforming Students

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity is hosting a pool party at the Recreation Center’s small pool for transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming individuals on May 7 from 1-3 p.m.

Students who plan on attending the event must register in advance and bring their Access Cards for entry. Individuals interested in attending the event who are not active students can reach out to trans@sa.ucsb.edu

Middle Eastern, North African, South Asian Resource Center Hosts Virtual Bazaar

The Middle Eastern, North African, South Asian Resource Center (MENASARC) is hosting the annual Middle Eastern, North African and South Asian (MENASA) Bazaar at the Student Resource Building faculty lawn on May 10 from 1-4 p.m. to begin their MENASA Culture Week kickoff. In collaboration with MENASARC’s multiple student organizations, attendees can enjoy “activities, festivities, and cultural celebration” during the event.  

Health & Wellness Explores Sexual Health Through Weekly Book Club With Emily Nagoski’s Work

UCSB’s Health & Wellness is hosting a weekly Sexual Health Book Club for students to explore their sexual wellbeing in conjunction with reading Emily Nagoski’s book, “Come As You Are: The Surprising New Science That Will Transform Your Sex Life.” The book club meets every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. until Week 8. Prospective attendees are encouraged to read “Come As You Are” or the accompanying workbook “The Come As You Are Workbook: A Practical Guide to the Science of Sex” prior to the workshop. 

This book club is a part of Health & Wellness’s sexual health education program to “provide accurate and comprehensive information about sexual health, safety, and self-agency,” according to the Shoreline description.

MCC Presents Jessika Chi, Ph.D., in Discussion on Model Minority and Forever Foreigner Myths 

The MCC is hosting a discussion on model minority and forever foreigner myths with Jessika Chi, Ph.D., on May 10 from 6-8 p.m. in the MCC Theater. The talk looks to “provide context for the myths of the model minority and forever foreigner, illuminate the consequences of these racial stereotypes on communities of color, and offer strategies to create change,” the Shoreline description read. 

The event is co-sponsored by the Office of Equal Opportunity & Discrimination Prevention and the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and is part of the MCC’s Diversity Lecture series.

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the May 5, 2022, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.