As the 72nd Associated Students term comes to a close, the Daily Nexus compiled a review of data on the Associated Students budget and financial expenditures of the 2021-22 school year. 

As the largest non-profit in Santa Barbara, Associated Students (A.S.) was responsible for an income of $13,689,460.91, according to the Senate budget. Summer is allocated a separate allotment of $1,428,967.25.   

The budget funds the functions of all Senate and executive offices and a variety of boards, committees, commissions and other entities that support student life on campus. The A.S. budget encapsulates the fees paid by all UC Santa Barbara students in their tuition, some of which are chosen by the student body as lock-in fees.

The 2021-22 budget was approved by the 72nd Senate on April 28, 2021, and the 73rd Senate — to be elected this month — will approve the 2022-23 A.S. budget. 

The third-highest income source for the 2021-22 A.S. Senate is the suspense account with $836,371, which is the “remaining balance at the fiscal year-end” of the 71st A.S. budget, according to A.S. financial policy

Recreational sports — which provide “programs, services and facilities [to] promote an active, balanced lifestyle,” according to their website — were UCSB’s second-highest lock-in fee, with $866,214.25 total per year and $13.07 per student per quarter. 

Campus Learning Assistive Services, which offers free tutoring to students in a variety of subjects, was allotted $472,540.75 per year and required a per-quarter student payment of $7.13. 

This year, the UCSB cashier and ticket office received the greatest allotment of A.S. funding, with UCSB student radio organization KCSB and the Black Womyn’s Health Collaborative — a space for Black womyn and non-men — coming in second and third, respectively. 

A version of this article appeared on the p.  7 of the April 7 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Alex Rudolph
Alex Rudolph (he/him/his) was the Data Editor for the 2021-22 school year. He can be reached at data@dailynexus.com.
Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.