One suspect remains at large for four attempted kidnappings on Monday evening near Storke Road and El Colegio, according to the Isla Vista Foot Patrol and UC Santa Barbara Police Department.

The suspect committed acts of indecent exposure and sexual battery as well as assault with the intent to rape, according to information from Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) Public Information Officer Raquel Zick and UCPD Sergeant Matt Bly. Both the sexual battery and assault with intent to rape occurred during the same attack. The Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP) is a subsection of SBSO serving the Isla Vista area. 

Sometime between 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., IVFP received reports of indecent exposure that have been connected to the suspect. At approximately 7:05 p.m., IVFP received a report of sexual assault near Camino Del Sur and Sueno Road. Following this report, IVFP conducted a search of Storke Road and El Colegio with K-9 units and air support. 

Around 8:30 p.m., UCPD received an additional report of sexual battery and assault with the intent to commit rape. The guilty party committed four different instances of criminal behavior from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

After a three-hour search, law enforcement shifted from a search to an investigation. 

Zick added that IVFP is looking through reports from previous weeks to see if the guilty party committed previous acts of kidnapping or assault. 

Since last night, UC Santa Barbara also provided an updated description of the suspect through a timely warning: “A white male adult approximately 25 years old, slender build, short to medium beard, brown ‘slicked back’ hair with golden highlights, and brown eyes, driving likely a mid-90’s gold Toyota Camry or similar, in poor and faded condition, with ‘shiny looking blue curtains’ (similar to a sunshade) covering the back windows. The suspect is not known to the victim and his campus affiliation is unknown,” the warning stated. 

Law enforcement has increased high-visibility patrols in the area since the guilty party is yet to be apprehended, with plans to continue increased patrols through Friday of next week.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.