A motorcyclist driving west on Del Playa Drive crashed into a car parked near the intersection of Camino Corto and Del Playa with its hazard lights on at approximately 11:23 p.m. on Feb. 8. The motorcyclist was ejected off his vehicle — a Honda XR400R — and thrown onto the asphalt. California Highway Patrol took the lead on the investigation. 

The motorcycle laid on the asphalt with broken shards all around it. Atmika Iyer / Daily Nexus

As a result of the fall, the motorcyclist sustained severe injuries and was transported by ambulance to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital, according to the Santa Barbara County Fire Department. The status of the motorcyclist’s injuries are still unknown. 

The driver of the parked car — a gray Nissan Bursa — was out delivering food for a delivery app and had three passengers at the time of the collision , California Highway Patrol Officer Jonathan Gutierrez said. None of the passengers of the vehicle sustained any injuries. The car, however, was damaged from being rear-ended. 

California Highway Patrol, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office, the UC Santa Barbara Police Department, American Medical Response and the Santa Barbara County Fire Department all responded to the traffic collision. 

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.