UCSB Invites Alexandre Gefen and Sandra Laugier To Lecture on “Maintaining Life, Repairing the World: Ethics, Philosophy and Literature” 

Alexandre Gefen, a research professor at the French National Centre for Scientific Research, and Sandra Laugier, a philosophy professor at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and a senior fellow of the Institut Universitaire de France, will provide an online lecture on Feb. 3 at 4 p.m. titled “Maintaining Life, Repairing the World: Ethics, Philosophy, and Literature.” Their lecture will discuss the COVID-19 pandemic “as a threat to human life, both in the vital sense (a risk to biological life) and in the social sense (a risk to social life: disruption from the suspension of activities, lack of public transport, closure of schools, etc.),” the Shoreline description stated. 

Mwedzi Performs Through MultiCultural Center 

UC Santa Barbara’s MultiCultural Center invited artist Mwedzi to perform virtually on Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. Mwedzi “shares this wisdom and honors the healing power of ancestors, the Divine Feminine, and self-love,” the Shoreline description stated. 

“A year ago, my great great grandmother, Charwe, began visiting me in my dreams. She had heard my prayers. My prayers at that time were filled with sorrow,” Mwedzi said in a statement on Shoreline. “I wept every night, pleading to be reconciled with my homeland, my family, and the ancestral knowledge stolen from us over seven hundred relentless years of capitalism, white supremacy, Christian missionary proselytism, and neo-colonialism.” 

Mwedzi added that, in her dreams, she received a call to heal herself and others. 

“In my dream, Charwe said Musikavanhu – the Creator – had called me to heal the very tears I was weeping; and that I would heal this wound in myself, and in others,” Mwedzi said. “She had come to teach me the ways of N’anga – the sacred healers. ‘Everything will be made whole,’ Charwe said. ‘But in order to become a keeper of this ancestral wisdom, you must first be initiated into Womanhood.’” 

Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra With Wynton Marsalis

International jazz ambassador, nine-time Grammy winner and Pulitzer Prize recipient Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra group will be performing at The Granada Theatre on Feb. 4 at 8 p.m. 

The performing group is composed of “15 of the nation’s finest soloists, ensemble players and arrangers,” the Shoreline description stated. 

“The remarkably versatile orchestra performs a vast repertoire ranging from original compositions to rare historic gems and masterworks by jazz greats including Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie and many others,” the description stated. 

A version of this article appeared on p. 2 of the Feb. 3, 2022, print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.