Isla Vista Community Services District 

The Isla Vista Community Services District created a $10,000 grant program for local organizations putting on Halloween events to use in their programming. 

The grant money will allow local community organizations to enter a facility-use agreement with the Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) to fund its Halloween programming and temporarily become a community facility, IVCSD General Manager Jonathan Abboud said during the Oct. 12 IVCSD meeting. 

As of Oct. 18, the Isla Vista Food Cooperative and St. George Youth Center are the two local organizations using IVCSD funding to sponsor their Halloween events. The Isla Vista Food Co-op is hosting a costume contest open to all participants on Oct. 30 on its patio, and the St. George Youth Center has offered to work with IVCSD to host a pumpkin carving event on Oct. 31. In addition, the IVCSD will also help fund UC Santa Barbara Associated Students’ Haunt the Loop event on Oct. 31. 

IVCSD will also have its safety stations at Little Acorn Park beginning at 8 p.m. where people can grab water, charge their phones and ask for a community service officer to escort them home if they live in Isla Vista and are unable to get home by themselves. 

Law Enforcement, Parking and University Rules

During Halloween weekend, parts of campus and Isla Vista will be blocked off for parking. The Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP) is not currently planning on blocking traffic to Del Playa, but that may change depending on activity on Del Playa during Halloween weekend. 

IVFP will also not be using any horse mounted units during Halloween weekend and will be responding to all events west of Camino Pescadero. 

IVFP Lieutenant John Maxwell said that the foot patrol decided to increase staffing for Halloween weekend but not on the scale of previous years. UCPD will be upstaffing with police from non-UCSB UCPD officers coming for Halloween weekend.  

No streets leading to Del Playa will be barricaded, Maxwell said during the Oct. 14 Isla Vista Community Network Meeting. Maxwell also said that IVFP does not expect to restrict parking or tow cars on Del Playa. 

“Right now, it seems like it’s going to be a good weekend,” Maxwell said. “I think it’s going to go well, we’re hoping for a local event, and a peaceful one.” 

Anyone without an ePermit will not be allowed to park on campus on Friday and Saturday night of Halloween weekend. 

In addition, the City of Goleta placed parking restrictions on the following areas: Cannon Green Drive to the west, Hollister Avenueto the north, Storke Road to the east and Whittier Drive to the south.

Most UC Santa Barbara residence halls and the Sierra Madre Villages campus apartment complex will have fencing as well. However, unlike previous years, the center median of El Colegio will not be fenced. 

Students living on campus housing will not be allowed to have guests beginning Oct. 29 through Halloween weekend. There will also be law enforcement vehicle checkpoints at the Santa Ynez and Sierra Madre Villages apartment complexes. 

University

A.S. Program Board

UC Santa Barbara’s Associated Students Program Board will be hosting a variety of Halloween events leading up to the 31st. 

The board is holding a Pumpkins and Puppies event on Oct. 21, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Storke Plaza, where UCSB students can paint pumpkins and pet therapy dogs. No registration nor payment is required, and masks and physical distancing are encouraged. 

The Associated Students (A.S.) Program Board is also hosting Spooky Screenings on Oct. 26 and Nov. 2 at I.V. Theatre, where participants can watch the movie screenings of “Candyman” and “The Forever Purge.”

These events lead up to Delirium 2021, an annual Halloween weekend show on Saturday, Oct. 30. The artist lineup will be posted on the A.S. Program Board’s Instagram account at a later date. 

UCSB Recreation Center, Office of Student Life, Life of Party, Health & Wellness 

In collaboration with the Office of Student Life, Life of Party and Health & Wellness, UCSB’s Recreation Center will host Hallowheels on Oct. 29 from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m., where participants can rollerskate, paint pumpkins, dance in silent disco, use photo booths, join costume contests, enjoy free food and candy, watch Halloween movies and more. 

All students are welcome to attend and must bring their student identification card. There will also be a staff skating social prior to the event from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

A.S. EVPLA Office 

Associated Students’ Office of the External Vice President for Local Affairs is organizing the annual Haunt the Loop event on Oct. 31 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., where the children of Isla Vista can enjoy a trick-or-treat experience. Raffle prizes will be provided by the Isla Vista Community Services District, and the event is free and open to I.V. kids. 

Latinx UCSB Networking Association + EOP

In collaboration with Educational Opportunity Program, the Latinx UCSB Networking Association will host their annual Día de Los Muertos event on Nov. 2 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., which will celebrate the holiday of the Day of the Dead. 

I.V. Recreation and Park District

Isla Vista Recreation and Park District is collaborating with Lucidity Festival, Isla Vista Community Relations Committee and Environment Makers to host a Haunted Pumpkin Patch on Oct. 27, 28 and 29 from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at Estero Park in Isla Vista. Participants will have a guided experience of a story told through costumed performers, lighting and projection art and more. This experience will also include a pumpkin patch, which will provide a free pumpkin to each participating group. This event is free and open to all. 

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.
Asumi Shuda
Asumi Shuda (they/them) is the Lead News Editor for the 2023-24 school year. Previously, Shuda was the Deputy News Editor, Community Outreach News Editor for the 2022-23 school year and the 2021-22 school year and an Assistant News Editor during the 2020-21 school year. They can be reached at asumishuda@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.