The Isla Vista Recreation and Parks District is hosting weekly pop-up events in collaboration with the UC Santa Barbara Department of Recreation, offering free classes and events for the Isla Vista community. 

“The goal is to offer free recreation classes and events that the entire community of Isla Vista can participate in, while activating park space and giving residents an inside look at the various recreation programs that UCSB Recreation offers for both students and Isla Vista residents,” said Luis Valerio, Isla Vista Recreation and Parks District (IVRPD) recreation coordinator, in an email to the Nexus. 

Previous events have included an Oct. 2 birding event in Tierra de Fortuna Park — “highlight[ing] the diverse bird population that can be found in IVRPD’s two largest parks, Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Reserve” — and a cornhole competition in Little Acorn Park. 

“With 25 parks in IVRPD’s park system, we targeted parks in various neighborhoods in Isla Vista to showcase the diversity of our park system and highlight the various park amenities available to the public,” Valerio said in the email. 

Future events include Oct. 16 bouldering and slacklining at Trigo-Pasado Park and an Oct. 23 3v3 Basketball Tournament, according to the Shoreline event calendar where students can pre-register for events. Walk-in participants are also welcome, according to Valerio. 

Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.