Following reports of gunshots from Isla Vista residents near Sueno Road, the Isla Vista Foot Patrol pursued a potentially armed suspect late Friday night into early Saturday morning. The fleeing suspect was not apprehended. 

Isla Vista Foot Patrol’s (IVFP) Community Resource Deputy Justin Schroeder said that the suspect shot their gun by 6631 Sueno Road. According to Schroeder, the residents of that location refused to provide any information and did not press charges. 

Schroeder told the Nexus Saturday morning that IVFP “found a bullet casing, but there were no cooperative witnesses, no damage, no victim and no suspect identified.”

IVFP also “found a video online that shows a subject shooting a gun in the air in an attempt to break up a fight.”

Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) President Spencer Brandt said that the community should have received a timely warning following the incident. 

“The absence of a timely notification creates alarm and confusion, and prevents local residents from taking proactive measures to keep ourselves safe,” Brandt said in a press release. 

No charges have been pressed by the individuals involved thus far. However, if an individual has committed a felony offense, like firing a gun, the state can file charges without the involved individuals. 

IVCSD Director Ethan Bertrand said in the press release that UCSB Counseling & Psychological Services, Santa Barbara City College Student Health Services and the Community Wellness team are available for anyone requiring assistance. 

IVCSD Vice President Catherine Flaherty said that the “Isla Vista community denounces violence and the reckless use of guns.” Flaherty also noted that “this unfortunate incident is especially poignant, occurring just days before the anniversary of the May 23, 2014 Isla Vista Tragedy.”

Atmika Iyer
Atmika Iyer (she/her/hers) is the Daily Nexus editor in chief for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Iyer was the County News and co-Lead News Editor for the 2021-22 school year. She's a lover of loud music, loud laughs and loud prints.