[Updated:] 05/29/21 5:41 p.m.

UCSB student Wilhem Tallo was detained in a low-speed car crash off the cliffs at the end of the 68 block of Del Playa Drive on Saturday night, according to Public Information Officer Sergeant Dan Wilson of the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office. 

A tow truck arrived at the Devereux Beach the morning after the crash to tow the vehicle. Sicheng Wang/Daily Nexus

Tallo, a fourth-year global studies major, was not inside the vehicle when it fell from the bluffs onto Devereux Beach below and was not injured. The investigation — conducted by both the Sheriff’s Office and UCPD — is ongoing into the motive for the incident. 

Tallo was charged with resisting arrest and for violating the California Fish and Game code for putting a vehicle within 100 feet of a waterway. Although he initially cooperated with officers who found him on-scene, he ran from officers when asked for his identification, according to Wilson.

Tallo left the vehicle and fled from law enforcement, until he was detained and arrested on UCSB’s West Campus, Wilson said. He was held at the Santa Barbara County jail on a $2,500 bail.

A tow truck arrived at the Devereux Beach the morning after the crash to tow the vehicle.

California Highway Patrol, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office, UCPD, Santa Barbara County Fire Department and Santa Barbara County paramedics were all on the scene. 

Holly Rusch
Holly Rusch (she/her) is the Lead News Editor for the 2022-23 school year. Previously, Rusch was the University News Editor and co-Lead News Editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at news@dailynexus.com or hollyrusch@dailynexus.com.
Katherine Swartz
Katherine Swartz was the 2021-22 editor in chief of the Daily Nexus. Previously, Swartz was the University News Editor for the 2020-2021 school year. She can be reached at kswartz@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com, and on twitter @kv_swartz.