Halloween weekend saw a dip in the number of citations and arrests compared to the weekend before it, as well as a decrease in the number of attendees — so much so that some UC Police Department officers were “released early” from their posts due to “low levels of activity,” according to UC Santa Barbara spokesperson Andrea Estrada. 

Raquel Zick, SBSO spokesperson, confirmed that this past weekend saw a “very small” crowd in Isla Vista. Sicheng Wang / Daily Nexus

Once again, the Halloween weekend activity was relatively slow compared to a typical weekend,” Estrada said in an email. 

Raquel Zick, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson, confirmed that this past weekend saw a “very small” crowd in Isla Vista, stating that the overall number of people couldn’t be counted. 

On Halloween night, there was one arrest in Isla Vista for providing a false ID and 15 violations of the noise ordinance, which lasted from 10 a.m. on Oct. 26 to 7 a.m. on Nov. 4. 

Twelve of the violators were UCSB students, while one was a Santa Barbara City College student, according to Zick. 

That Friday and Saturday, there were a combined total of five citations — one for driving without a valid driver’s license and four for violating the noise ordinance. 

Estrada provided similar statistics for on-campus citations and arrests, stating that Halloween weekend saw “relatively slow [activity] compared to a typical weekend.” 

She said that the UC Police Department (UCPD) issued one citation on campus and arrested one individual for stalking and vandalism. 

The number of UCPD patrols were also similar to those around on a regular weekend, Estrada said, adding that UCPD had 14 or 15 officers in Isla Vista on both Friday and Saturday night. 

“Students deserve a great deal of credit for keeping the celebration local,” Estrada said.

A version of this article appeared on pg. 4 of the Nov. 7, 2019 print edition of the Daily Nexus.

Evelyn Spence
Evelyn Spence harbors a great love for em dashes and runs on nothing but iced coffee, Jolly Ranchers and breaking news. She serves as the managing editor and can be reached at evelyn@dailynexus.com, managing@dailynexus.com or at @evelynrosesc on Twitter.