The Isla Vista Community Services District released its preliminary budget for the 2019-2020 fiscal year on Monday, showing a $207,584 increase in funding.

The total amount of funding the Isla Vista Community Services District (I.V. CSD) expects to receive in the 2019-2020 fiscal year is $1,105,921, compared to $898,337 in 2018-2019.

Leonard Paulasa / Daily Nexus

Funding for the district comes from four places: the User Utility Tax (UUT), revenue from community programs, intergovernmental revenue and residual fund balance from the 2018-2019 fiscal year.

UUT is an 8% tax on electricity, gas, garbage disposal, sewage and water services on I.V. homes and is the district’s main source of funding, totaling over 70% of the coming year’s budget at $851,000.

UUT funding has greatly increased compared to the 2018-2019 year. Original estimations of tax revenue were $777,000, but according to estimated actuals — what was actually raised this fiscal year — the district will only receive $691,003 this year.

The tax, also known as Measure R, was affirmed by voters June 2018, and a delay in its implementation led to fewer total funds than original estimations.

Given the greater amount of funding for the 2019-2020 year, I.V. CSD also plans to increase spending dramatically compared to the current fiscal year.

Last year, the I.V. CSD proposed spending $830,000 and is actually projected to spend $481,813.70 by the end of the fiscal year on June 30.

Projected spending for the 2019-2020 fiscal year totals $1,105,900.

The funds will primarily be split between operations and community programs, with additional funding going toward safety, public works/graffiti abatement, housing and parking.

The district held a public forum on April 16 for community members to speak about the budget, which Board Member Ethan Bertrand said played into the decision-making process about money allocation.

“I’d like to thank the many community members who participated in the budget process for providing valuable feedback about how we can best serve the community,” Bertrand said in a message to the Nexus.

“This year’s budget continues to invest in public safety services, youth and family services, beautification and infrastructure improvements, rental housing mediation, and more,” Bertrand said in the message.

“This budget provides funding for the operation of the Isla Vista Community Center, which is expected to open in the next 6 months. The budget also fully funds the District’s sexual assault/interpersonal violence investigation and prevention program, the Isla Vista Safety Station program, graffiti abatement [and] services for community members experiencing homelessness.”

More will be spent on salaries and employee benefits this year as well. $215,800 is allocated for employees, compared to $186,800 this past fiscal year. Only $67,384.95 of that money was actually spent.

The majority of the community programs budget is in professional and special services and contractual services, which both allotted for similar funds compared to the current fiscal year.

As the 2018-2019 fiscal year for I.V. CSD comes to a close in June, there remains $416,523.10 left unspent from the year alone.

According to General Manager Jonathan Abboud, all unspent funds from the year will go toward building CSD reserves.

This includes short- and long-term cash reserves for regular operations, a capital maintenance fund to support community center equipment and repairs, a self-insurance fund and a capital outlay fund for future large scale public infrastructure.

According to Abboud, I.V. CSD will be releasing a letter explaining the budget early next week.

Katherine Swartz
Katherine Swartz was the 2021-22 editor in chief of the Daily Nexus. Previously, Swartz was the University News Editor for the 2020-2021 school year. She can be reached at kswartz@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com, and on twitter @kv_swartz.