UC Santa Barbara students can expect to see Hijinio Camacho, El Elotero, selling elotes, raspados and mango on campus again after weeks of his absence.

Anthony Lai / Daily Nexus

The Office of Student Life (OSL), Campus Concessions and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety have clarified the requirements necessary for off-campus vendors like Camacho to sell on campus with student organizations.

Camacho is currently working to obtain the necessary insurance and permits to work on campus again.

Once UCSB approves Camacho’s current food permit and an insurance policy, he can sell with campus organizations once a month.

“The next time we could see Mr. Camacho selling on campus is after he submits his certificate of insurance and is listed on the Approved Caterers list,” Miles Ashlock, assistant dean and director of the Office of Student Life, said.

According to Ashlock, the insurance policy can be obtained “in a matter of days, not weeks.”

OSL’s requirements outline the steps for vendors to become fully certified to sell on campus, including a prerequisite that vendors have the necessary permits and insurance prior to selling.

The university prohibited Camacho from selling on campus at the beginning of Fall Quarter because he did not have the correct permits and insurance, the Nexus reported in October.

Camacho met with OSL on Oct. 17 to discuss the new process of selling with on campus organizations.

University vendors must first contact Campus Concessions for permission to sell on campus, according to OSL. Campus Concessions will then grant permission to sell if the vendor is on the university’s approved caterers list.

Vendors on the approved caterers list must have general liability insurance that covers up to $2 million in liability and include the Regents of the University of California in the coverage.

The university also requires that vendors have a Mobile Food Facility (MFF) permit or a general Santa Barbara County permit. The MFF permits range from $130 to $200 depending on the type of food sold and allows for vendors to sell on campus once a week.

After the vendor is approved to sell on campus, they must fill out the Food Permit Application with Campus Concessions and awaits further approval from OSL and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety.

According to OSL’s regulations, vendors with a non-MFF food permit and an insurance that meets UCSB’s requirements will be allowed to sell only once a month. A vendor with insurance and a MFF type food permit will be able to sell once a week.

Qualifying vendors may only sell at the SRB and only one off-campus vendor is allowed to sell per day.

OSL met with representatives from student organizations on Oct. 20 to clarify the requirements and process of using off-campus vendors for fundraisers.

The current off-campus vendors list has 26 approved vendors, including Silvergreens and Woodstock’s Pizza, and 29 vendors that are not approved to sell on campus. Camacho is not currently on the approved caterers list or the non-approved vendors list.

Once the university approves a vendor for on-campus sales, the vendor will receive four complementary food permits from Campus Concessions. All permit after the fourth will cost $50 and each permit is valid for one day.

Since the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, students noticed Camacho’s absence and questioned why he was no longer selling at the SRB.

Jorge Santos, an Associated Students on-campus senator, said he contacted OSL to learn more about Camacho’s situation. Santos addressed the issues surrounding Camacho’s permission to sell on campus in a Facebook post on Oct. 25.

“The Office of Student Life not only reached out to [Camacho] but have worked and are doing the most they can to get him back on campus as soon as possible.” Santos’ post read.

A version of this story appeared on p. 1 of the Thursday, Nov. 2, edition of the Daily Nexus.