Patrons will enjoy games, prizes and free food at seventh annual Pardall Carnival on Pardall Road

Lorenzo Basilio/Daily Nexus

The Pardall Carnival was established in 2009 to celebrate renovations to Pardall Road, and since then it has served as a place for students to get together and build a stronger community while playing games and enjoying food. Lorenzo Basilio/Daily Nexus

The Associated Students Isla Vista Community Relations Committee (IVCRC) will host the seventh annual Pardall Carnival Oct. 3 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Pardall Road.

The carnival will feature a Ferris wheel, games, prizes, free food and more than 60 different campus organizations and local businesses, including UCSB Health & Wellness, the I.V. Food Co-op, A.S. Food Bank, the Commission on Student Well-Being (COSWEB) and KCSB-FM. IVCRC plans to hold many food-related activities to fulfil its goal of focusing on food security and food justice this year.

IVCRC advisor Ruth Guevara Garcia said the carnival is meant to strengthen the I.V. community in the recently restored central area.

“Pardall Carnival was established in 2009 as a way to highlight the renovation of Pardall Road and bring students and kids living in Isla Vista together,” Garcia said.
IVCRC external chair Aimee Hanna said A.S. Food Bank and COSWB will provide services at the event.

“A.S Food Bank’s table that will be hosting a food distribution, as well as UCSB’s COSWB will be there providing free yoga to carnival-goers,” Hanna said.

Hanna said IVCRC will reward game participants at the carnival with “Pardollas,” which they redeem at I.V. restaurants on the day of the event.

“If people participate in any of the free games we have going on, they will receive Pardollas in which they can use in restaurants that are participating to score deals on free food,” Hanna said.

According to IVCRC publicity manager and third-year global studies major Lauren Lim, the carnival will feature free activities music from KCSB-FM.

“We really want to emphasize that there will be tons of free giveaways and games to participate in,” Lim said. “I’m really excited about KCSB attending and providing cool DJ sets for people to listen to while they’re there as well.”

Lim said IVCRC expects a large turnout at the carnival.

“We have over 1,000 people that have RSVPed on the Facebook event, but we are anticipating way more than that to attend on the day of,” Lim said.

A version of this story appeared on p. 1 of the Thursday, Oct. 1 print edition of the Daily Nexus.