UCSC:

UC Santa Cruz has been added to a nationwide Title IX Investigation by the Department of Education to review the university’s handling of sexual violence reports. The Title IX office at UCSC has received 48 sexual harassment and 29 sexual assault reports since July 1, 2014. Whether the investigation is a compliance review or was prompted by a complaint from a student, staff or faculty member will not be disclosed until the investigation is complete.

UCLA:

UCLA Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Ph.D. alumnus Riley Serieys, a wildlife ecologist with the National Park Service, has been researching the effects of urbanization on local bobcat populations, specifically the caracal wildcat. In 2002, large numbers of bobcats began succumbing to a mange disease, a parasitic ailment resulting in hair loss, bacterial infection and severe emaciation. Serieys’ doctoral degree focuses on mange, pursuing studies in wild animal protection and the effects of urbanization on wildlife populations.

UCSD:

UCSD’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center hosted Out and Proud this past week, with festivities and events aimed at promoting community for students, staff and faculty who identify as LGBT. The week-long event examined the modern-day “coming out” experience and included a walk outside the library to demonstrate solidarity within the LGBT community and LGBT professors sharing their perspectives on being “out” in the professional world.

UCB:

A power outage struck 30 of UC Berkeley’s buildings for two hours Friday morning at 11 a.m. The outage occurred after a contractor accidentally cut a power line while conducting routine maintenance on a power substation. The campus switched to another substation to fully restore power to the buildings by 2 p.m. Moffitt Library was closed all day Friday because of a person who was stuck in the elevator. This person was eventually freed by rescue crews.

UCI:

UC Irvine Alumus and Google executive Dan Fredinburg died Saturday after suffering a fatal head injury from an avalanche on Mount Everest caused by the 7.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Nepal. Fredinburg was a San Francisco resident and worked for Google as an engineer for the Google X innovation lab. He was climbing Everest with an expedition team when he was killed.

UCR

Twenty pro-Israel organizations from across the country are petitioning UC Riverside to cancel a new course, “Palestine & Israel: Settler-Colonialism and Apartheid,” claiming it as anti-semitic and in violation of UC policies prohibiting political indoctrination. The course is taught by Tina Matar, an undergraduate student and leader in the UCI branch of Students for Justice in Palestine, and explores the Israeli-Palestinian issue through the lens of those who claim the Jewish state is an occupying force.

UCD

UC Davis’ National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Out of the Darkness and Active Minds campus organizations are working to destigmatize mental illness and suicide, which they argue are frequently portrayed inaccurately by the media. NAMI hopes to include more student in the discussion on eliminating mental illness stigmas, an issue especially important on college campuses where students are more prone to mental illness than other age groups.