Courtesy of wikihow.org

Courtesy of wikihow.com

The school year has started and we have said goodbye to many things: summer, privacy, your mom’s home cooked meals, the creepy neighbor across the street and your significant other. And just like you, many of us found ourselves changing our statuses on Facebook from “In a Relationship” to “Single” when we soon discovered that maybe a long-distance relationship was not manageable after all. School, however, is moving at a fast pace, while your inability to fully move on from your ex is dragging you down.

You know what will make you feel a little better? The fact that you’re not in “Annie Hall” and your now ex-boyfriend, Woody Allen, didn’t end things by saying, “A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark.” What a burn! Oh, and these movies listed below might help you feel better, too.

1. “Blue Valentine”

Ryan Gosling is the cure. Seriously. Need I say any more? “Blue Valentine” is not a typical cheesy romance film because it captures the real parts of a relationship: the passion, arguments, tears, blissful memories and everything in between. It shifts back and forth between the first stage and last stage of a couple, Cindy (Michelle Williams) and Dean (Ryan Gosling), showing the sad destruction of a once-beautiful marriage. If you are looking to cry out the remaining feelings that are dwelling in the bottom of your heart (or just want to stare at Ryan Gosling), this is the film for you.

Courtesy of kqed.org

Courtesy of kqed.org

1. “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”

After a relationship, it seems that it would be easier if we could just forget it all to rid ourselves of any pain or memories. But if you were given the chance to forget it all, would you take it? “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind features Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet), a couple who undergo a surgery to remove their memories of each other after a painful breakup. Through the process, however, they realize that the heart will never forget and it is best to come to terms with those memories. This film is very therapeutic and helps you realize that forgetting (or trying to forget) is not always the answer to your problems. It’ll leave you in peace and you’ll be able to breathe at a normal pace again.

Courtesy of dovesandserpents.org

Courtesy of dovesandserpents.org

1. “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”

Speaking of forgetting, this comedy is about Peter Bretter (Jason Segal), a down-on-his-luck dude trying to move forward with his life after a devastating breakup with his girlfriend, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell). In his escape to Hawaii, however, the worst-case scenario happens: he runs into his ex, who is parading the islands with her new boyfriend. Regardless, he stays and continues to mend himself and eventually develops a new relationship with someone along the way. It’s funny. It’s stupid. It’s necessary for that post-breakup craving for cheesiness. Plus, if you get your hands on the unrated version, you can catch the adorable Jason Segal in his birthday suit … twice!

Courtesy of writetoreel.com

Courtesy of writetoreel.com

1. “10 Things I Hate About You”

This film is so cheesy that it is so good. It features a bittersweet romance between Kat (Julia Stiles) and Patrick (Heath Ledger). From young Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s image as a hopeless romantic to Heath Ledger’s sexy moves as he runs from security while serenading Kat, you will have a great laugh with this one. Yes, it will leave you feeling like a thirteen-year-old again. But hey, a trip back good ol’ memory lane is much needed at times (especially times like this).

Courtest of static-bluray.com

Courtesy of static-bluray.com

1. “Little Miss Sunshine”

This movie has nothing to do with romantic relationships, but it’s a wonderful film that will leave you feeling inspired with a warm, fuzzy feeling. It’s about a dysfunctional family that makes a road trip to California so that their daughter (Abigail Breslin) can compete at the “Little Miss Sunshine” pageant. This is for when you’re sick of all the cheesy romantic comedies and love stories. This is for when you want to get your mind off of him/her so that you can stop refreshing his/her Facebook page and looking through old texts.

Courtesy of fanpop.com

Courtesy of fanpop.com

Whether you have or have not already seen these movies, I am 99.683 percent confident that you will feel much better after watching any or all of these films. So go make some popcorn, sit down and hope that your roommate will join you instead of awkwardly walking past you.