Local entrepreneurs, designers and computer developers are gearing up for Startup Weekend Santa Barbara, a technological competition in downtown Santa Barbara spanning the weekend of Nov. 15.

Startup Weekend will open the way for participants to discuss changing business ideas, construct pioneering products and potentially launch a slew of new businesses. The special weekend of events is powered by the Kauffman Foundation, which is the largest foundation devoted to entrepreneurship nationwide. There will also be a hosting of similar events across the country and winners in their respective cities can compete for recognition in the Global Startup Battle for two weekends at a later date.

Beginning the evening of Nov. 15, participants present their business ideas and vote on their favorite teams, while the event also includes an array of inspirational speakers, hands-on learning and networking with the local and global start-up community.

A number of upcoming moguls and innovators will be in attendance, including Kevin O’Connor, a CEO who sold Internet advertisement DoubleClick to Google for $3.1 billion, and Patrick Vlaskovits, a New York Times best-selling author of The Lean Entrepreneur.

With an early bird discount currently in effect, there is a registration fee of $75-$100. Individuals looking to participate in Startup Weekend Santa Barbara can register for the event at santabarbara.startupweekend.org.

This story is a Daily Nexus online exclusive.