UCSB has recently been ranked number two in the world, based on global impact in the field of sciences, by the Centre for Science and Technology Studies at Netherlands’ Leiden University.

The rankings — which are based on data from the Web of Science bibliographic database by Thomson Reuters — list the top 500 universities in the world, and ranked UCSB at number seven on last year’s list.

According to the European rankings, UCSB stands above Stanford University, Princeton University, Harvard University and Rice University respectively. UCSB is surpassed only by MIT.

Other UC campuses to make Leiden University’s top 10 list include UC Berkeley at number seven and UC San Francisco at number nine, while other UC universities were ranked lower on the list. UC Santa Cruz was listed at number 11, UC San Diego at number 15, UCLA at number 25, UC Riverside ranked at number 35, UC Irvine at number 44 and UC Davis at number 82.

According to the Centre for Science and Technology Studies, university impact is gauged by indicators including average number of university publications and proportion of publications in the top 10 percent nationwide. Statistics from the Web of Science database from 2008 to 2011 indicate that UCSB’s scientific publications are cited an average of 10.12 times, with 22 percent belonging in the top 10 percent most frequently cited publications.

A version of this article appeared on page 3 of the April 18th, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus