The Ecological Society of America granted four UCSB ecology professors fellowship into the prestigious society, which includes 121 scholars from throughout the nation.

The honorees include professor David Tilman — who teaches and performs research in the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management and serves as the McKnight Presidential Chair of the Ecology Department at the University of Minnesota — as well as Joseph Connell and William Murdoch, emeritus professors in the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, and emeritus professor Jim Reichman, former director of the National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis.

According to physics professor and UCSB’s Vice Chancellor for Research Michael Witherell, the election is not only an honor regarding each professor’s individual achievement and excellence but also an indication of the university’s overall strength in the field of ecology.

“UC Santa Barbara has a rich tradition in the study of ecology,” Witherell said in a press release. “It is home to the National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, which is a national treasure. We are proud to have these four national leaders in the field elected to join the first class of ESA fellows.”

Founded in 1915, ESA is a nonpartisan and nonprofit organization of over 10,000 professional ecologists. The society promotes communication among scientists via peer-review journal publications, media outreach and educational programs.

A version of this article appeared on page 5 of January 9th, 2013’s print edition of the Nexus.