Shortly before 1 a.m. on Wednesday morning, Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers responded to an incident of battery with serious bodily injury on the 6600 block of Del Playa Drive; less than three hours later, they were called to the 6600 block of Pasado Road in response to a sexual assault.

The first incident occurred after two individuals were struck by an unknown man following a verbal exchange. When both victims fell to the ground, the suspect — who was wearing a hooded black shirt and gold shorts — reportedly ran east. He is described as a 5’ 10” college-age male weighing about 200 pounds with thick, black hair pulled into a ponytail.

The incident of sexual assault occurred between 12 and 12:30 a.m. when a female victim was approached by three to four males, one of whom assaulted her. The suspects are all described as Caucasian, college-age males; the attacker was clean-shaven and is believed to be between 20 and 21 years old.

According to Santa Barbara County Sherriff’s Department Sergeant Mark Williams, such violent incidents are sadly frequent in Isla Vista and students should always take precautionary measures.

“Attacks and fights are not uncommon occurrences in Isla Vista and many of them are fueled by alcohol,” Williams said. “The Sheriff’s Department always suggests that [students] go out in numbers. Have a couple of friends with you and do not walk by yourself. Carry a cell phone and if you see a group that looks suspicious or threatening, do not hesitate to contact others for help.”

Any individuals with information pertaining to these incidences are encouraged to contact the UCSB Police Department at (805) 893-3446. To leave an anonymous tip, contact Crime Stoppers at (877) 800-9100.

— Staff Report