The perpetrator of a north campus arson incident that caused roughly $1 million in damage on Jan. 29 remains at large.

The fire, which detectives said was started intentionally at approximately 2:14 a.m., ­­damaged university-owned equipment and a personal trailer being used for a construction project in the area. The project consists of a new faculty housing complex, currently in phase two of a three-phrase process.

Apart from the property damage, UC Police Department Detective Mitch Molitor said the arson caused further delays, including a new requirement for security personnel to be present onsite.

“Construction was set back approximately one week,” Molitor said.

While the suspect remains unidentified, officials have some information regarding the suspect, according to a statement released yesterday by UCPD Police Chief Dustin Olson.

“Witnesses and residents identified a male subject wearing dark clothing near the fire who also appeared to be holding a cellular telephone and videotaping the burning equipment,” Olson said in the email.

Molitor confirmed that the UCPD have identified multiple persons of interest, and anyone with details about the incident is encouraged to call Detective Molitor at (805) 319-0004 or the UCSB Whistleblower Hotline at (800) 403-4744. A $5,000 reward will be given to anyone with information leading to the arrest and conviction of the arsonist in question.

– Staff Report