In true UCSB fashion, Big Sean greeted students with an evening of chardonnay, lemonade and bullshittin’ last Saturday for the Welcome Back 2011 concert.

The Detroit rapper stepped on stage at 10 p.m. and played a solid, hour-long set for hormonal first-years and excited returners. While the concert seemed less packed than last year’s Major Lazer/Milkman event, the show still managed to entertain.

“I’m about to rage,” Big Sean announced as he took a swig of his drink. “We gettin’ fucked up tonight. On the count of three, I need y’all to feel yourself one time. This is for celebrating the Finally Famous album. This is for Santa Barbara.”

Big Sean kicked off his performance with “Paper Chaser” from his UKNOWBIGSEAN mix tape. To the crowd’s delight, his set list had a surprising number of songs from his earlier mix tapes, such as “Supa Dupa Lemonade,” “Bullshittin’” and “Smoke ‘N’ Drive.’’ Memorable songs off his new album included “Marvin & Chardonnay,” “Dance (A$$)” and “I Do It.”

Pumped up fans gathered around the stage, dancing and singing along, while disinterested folks fiddled with their cell phones trying to figure out where they could find 66-whatever. The volume was disappointingly low, making it hard for people on the outskirts of the crowd to hear anything but the sound of drunken chicks screaming. Naturally, the reactions to Big Sean’s performance were mixed, with die-hard fans reacting positively and bystanders feeling indiffent.

“Big Sean was pretty sick, man,” second-year Junji Ogawa said as he exited the plaza drenched in sweat, smiles and nothing but good things to say. “The front was definitely poppin’, and everyone was just going hyphy. You had to be in there.”

The show was what it needed to be — entertaining. Big Sean played to the audience and formed connections by starting call backs, yelling shout outs and toasting to the students. He got down to his own beats and appeared to be having a good time. In all honesty, if he’s having a good time, the audience is going to have a good time.

If you are having a hard time remembering what went down, Big Sean promised to tweet a photo of the crowd … let’s hope your mother doesn’t have a Twitter account.

To see photos from the concert, visit the link provided below.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150342988079879.368216.98775919878