Emergency personnel responded to a small fire on the third floor of Manzanita Village’s Rincon House early yesterday morning.

The UCSB Police Dept. and other emergency personnel arrived at the scene at approximately 1:10 a.m. and found the burnt remains of two white athletic socks and carpeting. No injuries were reported.

UCSBPD Sgt. Matt Bowman said the cause of the blaze remains under investigation but appears to be the result of attempted arson.

“Someone apparently … lit a pair of socks on fire and then [threw] those lit socks onto the carpet in the hallway, resulting in a small fire that was immediately put out by residents,” Bowman said.

According to Bowman, UCSBPD’s Investigations unit is reviewing evidence and conducting interviews to reveal the source of the fire.

“I can assure you that we are following up all available leads,” Bowman said. “This is one of the top priorities for the police department at the moment because arson is a felony crime.”

Bowman said the incident could have turned disastrous had residents not responded quickly.

“The scariest part about the inci- dent is that it did have the potential of putting lives at risk,” Bowman said. “If it hadn’t been discovered and it had become a more significant fire, who’s to say what would have happened?”