Daily Nexus Editor:

Thank you for the article “Renovations Up in Air on Spring Ballot” in yesterday’s Nexus. In working on this very important issue, I have found there is confusion and misunderstanding about it with our fellow students. Thank you for helping to clarify the difference between the Athletics initiative (Developing Athletics Resources and Facilities Enhancement (D.A.R.E.) fee) and the Recreation Facility Enhancement initiative (Rec Cen fee).

For further clarification, I think it is helpful to split hairs and understand that the Recreation Facility Enhancement initiative (Rec Cen fee) really isn’t a Rec Cen enhancement. As one of the largest student services on campus, the Department of Recreation consists of a combination of programs and facilities. The different divisions of the department include: the Rec Cen (Rec Cen I, Rec Cen II/ The MAC, Rob Field), Recreational Sports (Intramural Sports, Sport Clubs, Adventure Programs and Special Events), Leisure Review, including Living Arts Classes, Community Programs (summer camps) and Recreational Facilities (Robertson Gym, Storke Field, Harder Stadium, Campus Pool, Lacrosse Pit, the Track, Baseball Stadium, Softball Stadium, Etc.) Thankfully, student fees go directly to the programs or facilities they are intended for and are not allowed to be used elsewhere. The current funding for Recreation includes a total of $59.18 for Rec Cen and $23 for Rec Sports, therefore Recreational Facilities (Rob Gym and Storke Field) receive $0 from fee referenda.

We also appreciate “Rec Cen frequenter” Matthew Ivanick’s perspective that passing the up to $15 initiative means that he would be paying “for services that he will not be able to enjoy.” In fact, Rob Gym would be repaired as early as this summer and Storke Field could be ready for play in less than a year. This timeline is in stark contrast to both of the Rec Cen initiatives in which virtually every student who initially voted or paid was not able to use them.

We are fortunate that our predecessors have left such a legacy which students like Mr. Ivanick continually benefit. Thanks again for your article and opportunity to inform our campus community.