County fire and air force officials fought a fire throughout the weekend and have reportedly contained 50 percent of the blaze that broke out near Bear Creek on Thursday.

[media-credit name=”PHOTO COURTESY OF USAF ” align=”alignleft” width=”250″][/media-credit]

Officials report that a wildfire near Bear Creek originated from an arcing power line. Last year, the Jesusita Fire burned 8,733 acres, 80 houses and resulted in about $17 million in damages.

According to a press release from Vandenberg Air Force Base, the fire originated from an arcing power line on south base Thursday. As of Friday, the fire had covered about 700 acres and was 50 percent contained.

In a press release, Vandenberg Fire Dept. Operations Division Chief Dan Ardoin said he expected fire crews to achieve full containment by the end of the weekend.

“We are optimistic that we will be close to full containment by the end of the day,” Ardoin said. “Cooperation from our local communities has been nothing less than outstanding — it’s made all the difference. Fire crews created a barrier around the Bear Creek Fire using roads, back burns and fire breaks. No structures were threatened.”

Last year, the Jesusita Fire burned 8,733 acres, destroying 80 home and costing an estimated $17 million in damages. Nearly 2000 personnel were on scene as well as an air attack tanker and four helicopters. Thirty firefighters were injured during the containment effort.

Other major local fires in recent history include the 2008 Montecito Tea Fire and Gap Fire.