U.S. News & World Report has ranked UCSB number 9 in its annual listing of the “Top 50 Public National Universities” in the country, and number 39 on its list of the “Best National Universities.” These are the highest rankings ever for UCSB in the U.S. News listings. The announcement was made Aug. 17.
UCSB Seal
Private institutions usually dominate the “Best National Universities” list, with Harvard, Princeton and Yale again taking the top three spots. The highest-ranked public institution is UC Berkeley, at number 22. UCSB is tied at number 39 with UC Davis. In the “Top 50 Public National Universities” list, UCSB is also tied with UC Davis, at number 9.

UCSB’s rank among public universities is two places higher than last year, and its rank on the list of all national universities is three places higher.

To rank colleges and universities, U.S. News & World Report assigns institutions to categories developed by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. UCSB’s category, national universities, includes only institutions that emphasize faculty research and offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master’s degree and Ph.D. programs. More information can be found at http://www.usnews.com.