Originally capturing America’s attention for a brief three-week stint in the “American Idol” semifinals, singer-songwriter Lilly Scott was voted off before reaching this season’s sloppy top 12. While that is unfortunate for the show — which missed out on a truly unique talent — it works out well for her fans: Scott got the exposure she needed without the dreaded “Idol” label that would usually come along with it.

Understanding her more independent-minded fan base, the platinum-haired songstress took the stage Monday night in L.A. at a real hole in the wall, The Room 5 Lounge. With only guitar in hand, Scott delivered a solid set of mostly original songs with a few covers thrown in for good measure.

Among the songs she performed was “High Heels,” a number the Colorado-based singer wrote before the “Idol” Hollywood week about staying true to her artistry, which she did on the show by still selecting obscure tracks to sing like Patsy Cline’s “I Fall to Pieces,” after being denied Radiohead’s “Nude.”

Another original she performed was “Can of Beer,” a folksy track about hooking up while high that accentuated Scott’s charming stage presence with its undeniably cutesy yet catchy chorus. This demo for “Beer” will be mastered this fall, following Scott’s release from the “Idol” contract in September, but until then people can enjoy her music demos via her touring group Varlet’s MySpace page.

Feeling obligated to perform a song she did on “Idol,” Scott delivered a stripped-down version of The Beatles’ “Fixing a Hole,” as she jokingly mentioned it was OK to sing, since it did carry her through the first round of eliminations. Though wanting to be known for her own compositions, Scott also covered Adele’s “Crazy for You,” during her mini-show which complimented the bluesy aspect of her coy vocals. Scott’s offbeat personality and down-to-earth humor during her set definitely made the small lounge gig seem more like a performance at a musical festival.

Though she isn’t signed to a label yet, Scott will surely attract the attention of a lucky independent label through her constant touring efforts instead of a taking the easy route with a commercial juggernaut company bent on making hits through the “Idol” machine. While yesterday’s “Idol” winners burn up their 15 minutes of fame in the public eye, Scott instead will garner a lifetime of success through the buzz she’s generating among her growing following under the radar.