In 22 years, I have never been a “fan” of any sports team in any league until the start of this year’s NBA playoffs. Actually, I still don’t think I can be considered a fan of any one team, but I do consider myself a fan of instigating conflict.

Let’s be honest, we’re in California, meaning when it comes to the NBA we’re supposed to be a fan of one of four teams — the Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, or Kings. Actually, if you really break it down, only two teams from California that really matter from a fan’s perspective. And since the Warriors haven’t been to the playoffs since 2007, I’m going to go ahead and focus on the Lakers.

It’s no secret that the Lakers are an absolute powerhouse when it comes to basketball. They’ve won 15 championships in franchise history, and no one would be smart to challenge the skill or talent this year’s team brings to the court.

That being said, I would like to question some of the Lakers fans here at UCSB. I cannot even begin to describe how annoying the fans of the Lakeshow can get, particularly if they happen to be watching the game at Giovanni’s Pizza.

When normal people watch a basketball game, they tend to get rowdy when someone on their side hits a huge three or throws down a dunk with no mercy. But there’s a big difference between that reality and the one where a douchebag in a yellow headband and industry-standard Kobe jersey goes nuts over Lamar Odom hitting a pair of free throws in the first quarter. For Christ sake, they’re free throws. The pros are expected to make them, so shut the hell up. And that was just the beginning.

My now-undying hatred for Lakers fans has driven me and my roommate to make custom bandwagon shirts in support of the Suns. I’m not saying that I’m anywhere near a die-hard Phoenix fan, but these Laker fans at Gio’s have pushed me toward the orange and purple.

I’ve ranted long enough, so let me get around to my main purpose in writing this article. I want any and all fans who are against the Lakers, or even those who share my frustration and just want to piss off their over-the-top goons, to show up to Gio’s tonight at 5:30 p.m. and rally for Steve Nash and friends. Wear any jersey you want, as long as it’s not a Lakers jersey, and get loud as the Suns gun for the series lead.

I can already sense Laker fans reading this article and thinking to themselves, “this guy is just a hater, Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.” Trust me, I’m not a Lakers hater, just a hater of the world’s most unathletic kids making unnecessary scenes in public. And over what? Two hits from the charity stripe? Please.

In about two weeks, I think I’m going to go ahead and jump on the Celtics bandwagon once the Finals come around, but in the mean time, Suns, baby, Suns! Don’t forget. It’s tonight at Gio’s, 5:30 p.m. Be there.