Criminals flocked to the 6500 blocks of Del Playa Drive and Trigo Road this weekend, committing thefts and starting fights.

Isla Vista Foot Patrol deputies responded Saturday to a report of theft at International Market on Trigo Road, where a young man attempted to steal a 30-pack of beer. The store clerk chased the thief, catching and holding him until officers arrived.

Deputy Freddy Padilla said the man admitted to the crime in full.

“The subject, who was a Santa Barbara City College student, admitted that his intentions were to go and steal the beer without paying for it,” Padilla said. “So the deputies charged him with burglary.”

Stealing a 30-pack of beer is normally a misdemeanor theft, punishable by at most a $1,000 fine or six months in jail. But because the man said he entered the store intending to steal, his crime became a felony burglary punishable by at most a year in jail or state prison.

The 6500 block of Del Playa saw two fights early Sunday morning. Officers were called to a large confrontation at 1:40 a.m., where they found several males exchanging punches and one man unconscious. Deputies broke up the dispute and arrested one man for starting the fray.

The IVFP was called back to the same area four hours later, when another group of men began fighting at 5:30 a.m. The fight ended before deputies arrived, but when officers questioned subjects at the scene they found one man had a warrant out for his arrest. The man was taken into custody.

Two other thefts occurred Saturday on the 6500 block of Del Playa. A grand theft occurred during a house party, where a thief stole a laptop computer. Deputy Padilla said the thief was an invited guest at the house, and that police are continuing to investigate.

“They are going to interview all the partygoers and see who may be responsible for that,” Padilla said.

At another party Saturday, a thief stole an expensive cell phone.

In addition to handling major crimes, deputies issued four citations for minors in possession of alcohol and made six arrests for public intoxication.