In one of Santa Bar-bara’s newest yoga studios, an innovative rope program is set to swing participants into the discipline.

Beginning next week, the RussaYog studio will offer a special wellness training course that utilizes ropes hanging from the ceiling to teach the core benefits of yoga. Jasprit Singh developed the unusual method to combine mental and physical balance with the breathing and core training aspects of yoga.

According to Singh, the rope technique offered at his studio is ideal for beginners.

“It’s a unique style of yoga that we’ve developed,” Singh said. “It is an easy style to learn because you go at it to your own point. The ropes help with the anxiety so you don’t feel like you’re going to fall. The ropes become a part of it like you are holding someone’s hand.”

Singh said that his program focuses on five elements: flexibility, strength, stamina, balance and release.

“The ropes are a great medium to help build all five mediums,” he said. “It is for a whole range of people. Everyone wants to feel good and wellness is becoming more critical.”

The nine-week series includes classes on wellness and karma in addition to the tools, techniques and concepts of all things yogic. The classes are broken into discussion and practicum, and the sessions can be attended individually or as the whole nine-week set.
According to Teresa Singh, Jasprit Singh’s wife, busy and stressed students in particular should take advantage of the relaxation yoga offers.

“A big part is the release of the negative stress,” Singh said. “Consider the breathing exercises like nutrients. It can make a stressful situation more manageable.”

Diana Garcia, a first-year Italian major, expressed interest in taking yoga classes for just this reason.

“I want to do yoga,” Garcia said. “The de-stressing is important.”

Fourth-year environmental studies major Andrew Rosen, however, said he had a different motivation.

“I’ve only done it once and I sucked at it,” Rosen said. “I’d try it again, I don’t know if I’d have time. It’s a good way to meet women.”

The RussaYog course begins Jan. 10 and runs Sundays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The studio is located at 1905 Cliff Dr. and a schedule of other classes and events can be found online at www.russayog.com.