Two local businesses were awarded grants from the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act, Congresswoman Lois Capps announced yesterday.

The two businesses, Dehlsen Associates, LLC of Carpinteria and Asylum Research Corporation of Santa Barbara, received money through the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer programs. These initiatives represent the D.O.E.’s $18 million investment in support of small business innovation in the area of green technology.

The two companies were selected from a pool of 939 advanced technology firms from around the country. Congresswoman Capps said the grants will help the local community’s progression toward the clean energy industry.

“This is exciting news for the Central Coast economy,” Capps said in a statement. “Clean energy technologies and jobs will be one of the keys to our nation’s long-term economic growth, and it is vital that our area continues to be one of the prime leaders of this movement. I’m proud these local companies secured support from the Dept. of Energy to help our country transition to a clean energy economy and bring investment and job opportunities to the Central Coast.”

Dehlsen Associates received $150,000 to develop its Centipod Wave Energy Convertor, a device comprised of a hydroelectric generation system that provides cost-efficient electric power.

Asylum Research Corporation received $146,777 to help develop its Nanoscale Probe System, which will speedily evaluate materials’ solar cell potential.

If Dehlsen Associates and Asylum Research Corporation demonstrate success with their new technologies, the businesses may be eligible for a second round of grants in 2010.