UCSB’s G.I.V.E. Project will hold a rummage sale at Embarcadero Hall this Sunday, selling used clothes, blankets and furniture.

The sale will raise money for local Isla Vista charities, including the Isla Vista Youth Projects, Optimist Club at UCSB, Isla Vista Teen Center and the Isla Vista Community Network. The G.I.V.E. Project rummage sale will be held in the parking lot of Embarcadero Hall from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.

Catherine Boyer, UCSB’s liaison to Isla Vista, said prices would be within the range of student budgets.

“Everyone who shops at the G.I.V.E. fall rummage sale and finds something they like will benefit,” Boyer said. “The prices will be very low: clothes and shoes from 50 cents to $3. We will sell desks for $10 each and twin size blankets will be $2 each or three for $5. We have 400 blankets, and they have been recently laundered.”

Usually the rummage sale is held once a year during the spring, after Isla Vista residents move out and donate their belongings. This year there were so many donations, however, that the G.I.V.E. Project felt it necessary to hold a fall rummage sale to prevent an overflow of items in the spring.

According to Boyer, the proceeds from the event will be split between the four charities, with each expected to receive about $1,000. Charities will also send volunteers to help run the sale.

Isla Vista Youth Project Executive Director LuAnn Miller said her organization promotes recreational and social programs for children and families in Isla Vista. She noted that the funding will be used to support the charity’s major summer project.

“Our G.I.V.E. funding is always spent on purchasing summer supplies for the Children’s Center and our summer camp for school age children at I.V. School,” Miller said.

Chuck Champlin, the president of the Optimist Club at UCSB, said the group has participated in each of the last nine years of the sale and hopes to spend the money on recreational events for local youth, including helmets for a bicycle rodeo. The Optimist Club is dedicated to supporting local youth in recreation and education.

According to Boyer, the funds raised for the Isla Vista Community Network will be used in part to provide an honorarium to a UCSB student to develop a Web site for the organization.

The sale, Miller said, is open to all members of the Isla Vista community.

“I love the G.I.V.E. sale for so many reasons. It’s environmentally right since it encourages reusing of goods, is Isla Vista supported and directed, and allows students and families to mutually support each other,” Miller said.

The Isla Vista/UCSB Liaison Office and UCSB Housing & Residential Services are sponsoring the sale, in collaboration with Isla Vista After School Grant.