Say it ain’t so — UCSB currently ranks just third in a college contest that will give the winning school a free Weezer concert and up to $25,000.

Put on by T-Mobile to promote the release of the new Motorola CLIQ phone, the competition pits 1,800 colleges and universities against each other in an effort to garner the most votes by Nov. 30. Voting is open to anyone; contestants log their votes via Facebook by entering their university’s name and their relationship to the school.

Leading the race with 7,372 votes is Florida State University, but UCSB is just a few thousand behind. UCSB has 4,191 votes, trailing the University of Florida’s tally of 5,269 votes. Voting began on Nov. 3, however, so the race is far from over.

The winning college is guaranteed a free live performance by rock group Weezer, to be scheduled on or near campus during December 2009 or January 2010.

Mario Perez, a first-year biology major, said a performance by Weezer is more than worth the few minutes it takes to vote on Facebook.

“I have seen Weezer live four times and each time I have been blown away,” Perez said. “I don’t think anyone else can pull off a Lady Gaga ‘Poker Face’ cover. Plus, the 25 grand would be very beneficial to our school.”

Chelsea Moran, a second-year undeclared major, said UCSB students should apply their social networking skills toward winning some much-needed money.

“In a time where UCSB needs all the money it can get, this contest can be a great thing.” Moran said. “Plus, it’s a free concert!”

Voting is open now until Nov. 30 at www.facebook.com/tmobile.