After an intensive search, UCSB’s Police Dept. announced the appointment of Dustin Olson as chief of police yesterday.

Olson will replace former Chief of Police Bill Bean, who has served UCPD for the past 34 years. Chief Olson — the Assistant Chief of Police at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus for the past 10 years — is no rookie cop. According to a university press release, Olson is a graduate of the FBI National Academy, served as an administrative and personnel chief in the Marine Corps from 1989 to 1998 and holds a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and a master’s degree in crisis and emergency management from UNLV.

Acting Chief Mike Foster will resume his position as captain now that Olson has assumed office.

Chancellor Henry T. Yang said in a campus announcement that Chief Olson is a qualified choice to lead UCPD because of his extensive experience in a similar college setting.

“Mr. Olson has a strong commitment to working with our campus and community members to ensure a safe living, learning and working environment for our students, staff, faculty and visitors,” Yang said. “[In his previous position] he has demonstrated effective leadership in meeting the needs of a diverse campus community.”

According to the press release, Olson is working to complete a second master’s degree in criminal justice.

Olson was twice awarded the distinction of being UNLV’s Police Officer of the Year during his time there and also received the Annual Award for Administrative Excellence from the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators in 2007.

Olson was also recognized with the National Defense Service Medal and selected as a Joint Military Service Member of the Year during his stay in the military.

Although the university is benefiting from Olson’s hiring, Yang said UCSB is also losing a trusted and experienced community leader with Bean’s retirement.

“On behalf of the campus, I would like to take this opportunity to again express our heartfelt appreciation to Chief of Police Bill Bean for his 34 years of devoted leadership and service,” Yang said.